Should I replace an unused new oil pump?

Mastiff

I am about to finally rebuild a turbo engine for my Oldsmobile Starfire (which has a V6 without turbo as standard). Well, more precisely my neighbour, who's a stellar mechanic with rally experience, is going to do it with me as the nurse handing him the tools!
biggrin.gif
The turbo engine I have is very early 80's, and it has never been used! It was standing in an engine shop in Michigan, as a replacement engine and bought my me in 2010. From what I remember I found out that it has the first version of the carb with electronics, but I will drop that and use an older carb that I got hold of, which is totally mechanic. I decided to tear it completely down (which I managed to do myself, five years ago...) because there had been a bit of moisture in it, so the cylinders had to be honed, and then it was logical to do all gaskets and stuff at the same time. I found out after a while that it was easier tearing it down then putting it together...

I have read earlbrown's info on oil pumps and modifying the timing cover (from 2005), and I would like to ask a question: Can I use the original oil pump that was in the engine (it's not damaged i any way), or should I replace it with something else?

Many guys (myself included) prefer factory timing covers.......so if yours is essentially new and un-used, you have great parts to start. Carefully perform the described modifications and your new pump will work better than new.

Well hello stranger. I've been wondering what happened to you. Like Dave said, you've got everything you need for a fantastic start so unless things are corroded or rusted then use what you've got.

David, thanks!

Hi, Charlie! Yeah, long time no nothing... I have been sort of busy with other stuff, so the Starfire was put on hold for a while (five years...). But since my daughter will finish high school next spring and we are going to sell the big house and move to something else (maybe our cabin by the sea) I needed to get the thing mobile! ;) So I have gotten help from our neighbour's son. He was 5 when we moved here, so he's 25 now, and one of the best mechanics in the county. He won the "apprentice of the year" award when he was an apprentice, which is pretty high since that goes for all apprentices in all occupations! So he knows what he's doing, and we will get this thing going, with a bit of help! Better late than never, I guess... :cool:

Sounds like a nice project. I just wonder why you want to go carbed. It wouldn't be very hard to go to a 86/7 set up.

Ah, then it makes better sense to use what you have. ;)

Thanks, Charlie, I might take you up on that! :)

Pronto, I found an unused, complete engine on eBay with a carb that had the electronics that came after a few years, and then had that shipped to Norway for a fraction of the cost of what an engine costs here. Then I got a turbo carb without that electronics stuff to simplify. Injection would both have been expensive, difficult and illegal in Norway. This car is registered as a vintage (more than 30 years), and you can only do modifications that would have been available when the car was new. I managed to get them to accept that turbocharging was available then since the first V6 turbo was introduced in 1978, the year my car is built. But injection would not have been possible. So I will try to get as much fun out of this as I can! ;) I have no idea how much power I will be able to get out of it, but I'll just have to see wen I build it. Anyway when I really want to feel the power I'll take my bike. Not much on the road that can beat a stage 1 Honda CBR1100XX Super BlackBird! Matte black, just like the Starfire is planned to be when it's done!

Those restrictions must be frustrating! Keep us informed on your progress. Post up pics!

I think you already found it. :) I put this one in pretty late my time yesterday, and today the thread was full of answers! :D