Should I run synthetic or just plain old dinosaur oil?

Correct, 10-40 and higher weight and straight wt. oils do not have the starburst symbols, and no Delo does not mean work, keep trying.

Ron

chevrons definition is DIESEL ENGINE LUBRICATING OIL

the word delo means work or labor

The 0w thing was throwing me off.. I was not aware there is a 0w. I kept thinking you were talking straight 30. When you said 0w-30 is thinner in cold than 10w-30, it threw me for a loop. After consulting with the Dr, I have a better understanding. ;)

Please tell me you didn't take anything prescribed by the doctor.:biggrin:

So all the reduced zinc/phos oils have the starburst symbol on them correct?

So is this a correct statement? I have some 10w-30 Castrol Syntech Blend and some 20w-50 Syntech Blend, the 10w-30 has the starburst, the 20w-50 does not. I figured the same brand just different viscosity would have basically the same additives as far as ani-wear additives were concerned??

But I plan to use ZDDPlus also so theoretically it should not matter which oil I use right?

So is this a correct statement? I have some 10w-30 Castrol Syntech Blend and some 20w-50 Syntech Blend, the 10w-30 has the starburst, the 20w-50 does not. I figured the same brand just different viscosity would have basically the same additives as far as ani-wear additives were concerned??

But I plan to use ZDDPlus also so theoretically it should not matter which oil I use right?

i would not take that thought for granted-----look at the API rating/not the starburst-----is it SL or SM-----while that would not guarantee they are the same it would put them in the same ballpark it they were both SM or both SL------i would lighten up on the zddp with the SL- perhaps half a dose---------whole thing for the SM------cam wear tests are doubled with SM compared to SL----i plan to cover this later tonight in the other thread on ZDDP if i have time...........RC

i would not take that thought for granted-----look at the API rating/not the starburst-----is it SL or SM-----while that would not guarantee they are the same it would put them in the same ballpark it they were both SM or both SL------i would lighten up on the zddp with the SL- perhaps half a dose---------whole thing for the SM------cam wear tests are doubled with SM compared to SL----i plan to cover this later tonight in the other thread on ZDDP if i have time...........RC
Thanks Rich. They are both SM rated. Therefore, what does the starburst symbol really mean?

Thanks Rich. They are both SM rated. Therefore, what does the starburst symbol really mean?

the starburst means three things-----it means the oil meets the stated API grade ie SL SM etc-----AND it meets the stated ILSAC GF grade ie GF-4 etc---------AND it meets energy conserving requirements type I or II etc---------it doesn't guarantee it meets the needs of old cars------i will get to these subjects in the next few days in my continuing post under ZDDP............RC

Richard - what oil brand? weight? and how much ZDDP would you add for a roller cammed 231 if it were your engine? Thanks, Craig

I'm not Richard, but for a roller motor you should not need the zddp, weight,
10-30, or a 5-40, my choice would be Valvoline or Alisyn synthetics.

Ron

Richard - what oil brand? weight? and how much ZDDP would you add for a roller cammed 231 if it were your engine? Thanks, Craig
its clear that roller cammed cars are much less dependent on zddp than flat tappet cars--------there are other less important things to consider like wrist pins and rockers where protection is important but pressurized lubrication is lacking--------in diesel engines the wrist pins are considered as vulnerable as the flat cams-------i am not sure why but it probably has to do with the lack of a throttle body and the full gulp of air they have to compress even at idle that works them hard all the time??????-------but i really cannot believe that any good API rated oil would not do a great job protecting a roller cam engine especially if you have roller rockers to augment your roller lifters------if you dont' have roller rockers it couldn't hurt to make sure you have at least .05% zddp(half the normal dose ie 1/2 bottle)------on the surface SM oil is supposed to be in that range but my recent tests of several brands (Mobil 1 10w-30 and Valvoline 10w-30 among them) have 00%-------there are reasons they don't have to adhere to this spec and i intend to cover that soon in a continuing thread elsewhere on this forum----as for oil brand???-----i have stated before that the answer to this question is really personal--------ask ten guys and you will get ten different answers and all of them will be fine-----if there was a brand out there that couldn't protect engines it would have disappeared years ago-------whats going to happen in the next several years with older cars is going to be interesting------because at the rate things are going few if any are going to continue to protect older cars-------lots of independent tests over the years have shown that there are no more than minor differences in quality brand name oils--------ever read the test on motor oil conducted by consumer reports a few years back?????--------even so i have my favorites---------in my CTSV i use Mobil 1 cause GM said so----------i also use that in my GNX's even though i really don't believe it makes a bit of difference------seems like the right thing to do for 100,000 dollar cars----------------i usually use valvoline dino in my GN's-------naturally i add ZPlus to all the TR's---------there was an interm period where i used rotella in my GNX's and GN's based on things i read in a couple mags--------sort of felt that there was no other good choice and it seemed reasonable-------that was before i really started studying what was going on and started spending money on testing--------when rotella changed early 07 I literally panicked and thats what led to ZPlus-------diesel oil is not a perfect choice-----it is better than the wrong gasoline engine oil ie SL/SM but my cars deserve perfect and perfect means the specified viscosity AND additives------ sometime next week i am going to cover the subject of diesel oil in great detail--------there is a reason they call it diesel oil---------i don't want to sound selfish but guys just don't understand that i did this project to protect my own cars that i seriously care about-------it wasn't till dennis kirban found out about it and asked to distribute it that it became a product--------i spent well into six figures to get exactly what i needed for my cars and if i never sell a dime of it its not gonna change my lifestyle one bit...........................RC

I used to run 10 30 conventional oil,just swapped to royal purple 10 30 synthetic and have noticed a few drops of oil from the rear main seal is this common when swapping to synthetic oil.