Should or shouldn't I Converter??

smokingunz

Hey all, getting ready to do a rear main (yay!). I was thinking since I got it apart, it would be a great time to do a converter. It's a stock tranny...works fine now, has 100k on it. Stock long block. Te44/msd50s... Going to alky next. Worth adding a converter now, or wait till the tranny is rebuild whenever that needs done?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would not if that is the combo you are going to be running.

If you do decide you need a new tc, I would not re-stall the stock one but I would buy a better one for about $500. It depends on what combo you are going with. If you want to upgrade I would suggest a 10"lock-up from Dusty Bradford or Dave Husek or I like my 10" lock up from Edge Torque Converters.

I guess part of my question also is, is it crazy to do a new converter with n old tranny behind it

except for removing the converter dust shield (if you still have one) you dont need to touch the trans to do a rear main

except for removing the converter dust shield (if you still have one) you dont need to touch the trans to do a rear main
Good to know, haven't had the cover off yet...didn't think there would be much room.

Rear main seal require the oil pan to be removed not the transmission like some modern cars do , but when you get ready for a trans overhaul that will be the time to do the converter .

My thoughts as well...just needed to hear itbfrom someone else I guess