Slight rub in front

speedskills

Seniór Member
Just recently installed 18x8 wheels with 4.5 bs and 245/40 on the front of my GN. I noticed going over a bridge the other day the tires rubbed the inner wheel well molding. The only time this happens is during a big dip in the road. Stock spindles and brakes. Are my springs weak. Maybe the UMI a arms?

Well get out of the middle of the road then you big dip.:biggrin:

Had to, sorry.:cool:

Is it rubbing on the inside or out side of the wheel well? Take a look and see if you can find the rub marks.

You might try a 1/8" spacer and see what happens. You may just need a slight change in the back spacing. Have you checked your body bushings or ride height yet?

Haven't checked either. Not sure where to start. Springs? Bushings? Not sure if the UMI a arms changed spindle location?

Haven't checked either. Not sure where to start. Springs? Bushings? Not sure if the UMI a arms changed spindle location?

Upper or lowers? If it's the uppers I doubt they changed much. The lowers it may have but you need to get under the car and check the body bushings.

Mine's an 83 T and I thought they were good until I got under the car. Car's from the great state of misery so the bushings are toast and even at 49K on the clock the frame is rotten from sitting so long.:mad: The springs have been rusted to hell as well so it's a good bet that they're bad as well.

Get under it and take a look at the condition of all of and you can get a better idea.:smile:

I have the same sizes rims and tires as the OP and get a slight rub on the pass side tire. It's only on big dips and such but it's still there. IMO if your not seeing damage on your tire or car, don't worry about it. Mine don't do any damage to the tire as it's only slight. The only thing I haven't done is change the front springs (next week) and will report back if the rub went away.

I have a rub on both sides. I can't leave it because I'm a perfectionist. I want to know why its happening and how to fix it. Thanks though.

Body bushings

Replace them and it should go away . My 16s rubbed before i changed the bushings