Slow Crosscounts

JimG

hi,
I've been out today in the 87 Gn, and its idling a little rough. Once checking through the SM, I could only find the crosscounts (CC) readout acting differently. Sometimes at idle it would just sit, sometimes the numbers would climb normally. Sometimes while cruising steady it would just sit, sometimes it would climb normally.
The IAC numbers occasionally show different behavior, but only at idle, and then it sometimes under 15, but also sometimes high at over 50 at idle.
My knowledge of Turbo Buicks has come entirely from this site, so my first feeling is that my O2 or wideband O2 sensors are functioning poorly, causing the rough idle. But as I am often wrong, I welcome to hear from you who have had similar symptoms and how you had resolved it.
Many thanks in advance.
Jim

Try flooring it and driving like a lunitic for a while... a lot of times it'll get the 02 back talking again.

..unless you've got a Vatozone Bosch 02, those things like to fruit out and get lazy.

Try flooring it and driving like a lunitic for a while... a lot of times it'll get the 02 back talking again.

..unless you've got a Vatozone Bosch 02, those things like to fruit out and get lazy.
i respect your feedback Earl, as I have read many of your posts, are you pulling my leg?

i respect your feedback Earl, as I have read many of your posts, are you pulling my leg?

Nope. Non heated 02's rely on heat to keep themselves clean and active. A slight layer of crud can work as an insulator and keep exhaust heat off the innerds, causing a cascade failure. Sometimes 'blowing out the cobwebs' can get one talking again.

what chip ...the ttweak chips offer open loop idle and as such they dont flip rich lean like a stock chip at idle and O2 counts (when the o2 voltage crosses over 450mv ) will not occur as they would with a stock chip , but when cruising the o2 cross count should be normal and rise about 255 counts in 90 seconds . if it does that leave it alone
cold air will also slow down cross counts as the sensor needs heat to react , cars with freed up exhaust and no cat converters will run cooler at the sensor and the sensor needs 600 degrees to begin working, thats where the Turbotweak open loop helps because he doesnt look at the o2 but rather gives the car what it should have notwhat a bad sensor reading tells it so the idle is much improved over the stock

your iac isnt bottomed out and it isnt high i wouldnt bother with it , cold air is denser and will cause the iac to do what it needs to do to maintain preset idle . if you start having a problem where the rpms wont stay where they should be (either stallling or high reving at idle) then look at the iac for issues

what chip ...the ttweak chips offer open loop idle and as such they dont flip rich lean like a stock chip at idle and O2 counts (when the o2 voltage crosses over 450mv ) will not occur as they would with a stock chip , but when cruising the o2 cross count should be normal and rise about 255 counts in 90 seconds . if it does that leave it alone
cold air will also slow down cross counts as the sensor needs heat to react , cars with freed up exhaust and no cat converters will run cooler at the sensor and the sensor needs 600 degrees to begin working, thats where the Turbotweak open loop helps because he doesnt look at the o2 but rather gives the car what it should have notwhat a bad sensor reading tells it so the idle is much improved over the stock

your iac isnt bottomed out and it isnt high i wouldnt bother with it , cold air is denser and will cause the iac to do what it needs to do to maintain preset idle . if you start having a problem where the rpms wont stay where they should be (either stallling or high reving at idle) then look at the iac for issues
yes, its a TT chip, and I run no converter, and it has gotten cold out lately.
when cruising, sometimes its normally rising, sometimes it just sits on a number for longer than expected, and the idle is not that smooth. I will take out on a tear today as Earl suggests and report back.
I appreciate your insight.
Thanks
Jim

ive had similar issues in the past. stabbed an O2 senor in it and called it a day. from my observations noticed they get lazy.

ive had similar issues in the past. stabbed an O2 senor in it and called it a day. from my observations noticed they get lazy.
well after some regular use with some enthusiastic driving, the crosscounts are now moving steadily.
Many thanks for all of the education, advise and suggestions.
Jim