SMC ALKY is GREAT

BLACKBADGER

Streetking and I put the unit in on Saturday, less then a hour.:D The instructions were self explanatory.1,2,3 and it was in. Still dialing the Boost-up, using 91 and the Dreaded Pit-Bull chip:eek: 0 KR at 20lbs, 02's 815-820. See if I can't sneak her up to 22 lbs. Very nice unit!!!!!;) Thanks Steve!

20-22LBS of boost and the pitbull chip, sounds like your ready for a Nitrous Car. I would like to see the setup.

What did Streetking's engine end up doing at Dutiweller's?

THE WORLD OF NITROUS

:D

are you running 20lbs of boost on 91 octane fuel? Where can I get the SMC kit? Do they have a web site?

Wilkinshc

I'd actually like to have a 75lb shot on the bottom end. I'll let Streetking give you specifics,he should be back today. Good numbers though! Duttwieler was actually impressed with the little motor, said he ain't seen that kind of oil pressure(60-70) thru all rpm ranges. Well over 400hp. with marginal boost pressure. I guess he mostely uses Turbonetics Turbos ,but was impressed how aggressive the Pte 53 was. So who knows what it'll produce once the boost is at race levels:eek: I know the Pit-bull is out dated but I sure like the throttle response and spool=up. Going to send Lubrant back a Street chip, (91-92 oct. 18*timing,16-17# boos,36lber'st) Man the chip had the worst tip in stumble ,slow spool-up,and . See if he can't burn something very much like the Pit-Bull but a little more up to date, and pull some timing out at WOT. It(street chip) ran good in Streetkings ,my car hated it,my car seems to really like the Pit-bull, no stumble ,immediate throttle response, good numbers. And the ETOH keeps the KR away:D The car is running about as aggressive as I can get her with the combos and minimal knowledge/scan tools I have(but I'm learning). I'm sure a Wilkins Thumbwheel chip would get the most out of her, especially some type of variable timing, high(30-32) on the bottom then step it down thru the rpms , and have wot timing at(22-24). The SMC system is a nice unit , it's nice to run with no KR. You should consider it ,I know your hooked on the laughing gas though.:D

SLOS-10

Sorry I didn't have the site for you. My car is set-up very similar to yours. 36#'s,stock turbo. Have been running 91 pump and I sneaked it up to 21#'s,still have a little to go. As 02's were 830/0KR, so I'll bump it up a turn to 22#. Sure beats high dollar race gas and it's sure nice to have 0 KR. It's a nice investment,.

It sounds like an investment I'm about to make as soon as the motor gets new bearings. Is there any hints or tips that I should be aware of before purchasing this unit?

By the way, how is your system set up? dual nozzles or one?
DO you have the stock intercooler? Will I be able to run this much boost with my current set up?

SLOS -10

Actually had the unit come on at 12#s of Boost, which was a tad early for my stock-combo,so turned the dial to come on at 14#s.Started off with 15-16 lbs of boost.O2's 830,0KR. Turned the adjustable actuator rod 3 turns, at 18 #s had 02's in the 820's with .9-1.2 KR. Turned the pump speed from 6 to 7. Took another run at 18#s ,(Actually nice to dial the pump speed then mess with the adjutable FPR) Turned her(actuator) 2 turns and pump speed to 7.5 and ran 20-21#'s(a little fluctuating, probably more like 20.5lbs )) .02's still above 800 with 0 KR. By the way the static fuel pressure (line off)was set at 45,and I'm using a hot-wired stock-pump(my 340 went south) waiting on Cotton. Also using a stock IC that's been D-necked. The system is simple to use, went thru a 1/2 gal of ETOH to get her dialed in @ 20-21 lbs.20- 21 lbs of boost is nnnniiiiiccccceee:eek: Tonight we'll go up a turn or two!(see if I can't get her rock steady at 22lbs) Also just using the single line nozzle. Again as mentioned I'm using a Pit-bull Street-chip which is AGGRESSIVE on timing,it's got more timing then most Race chips. My hats off to Steve at SMC!!!!:cool: Probably close to the limit with my stock-combo. ;) Last but not least get her tuned and dialed in the best you can,i.e. tps.set IAC,,make sure your 02's are sufficient,and minimal KR< 4 at WOT.

Another question.(or two or three)..how long does the alky generally last? I m trying to compare the long term cost to that of race gas. Does the tank hold 1/2 gallon or a gallon? What does it cost to fill it? How many passes down the strip will it last me? Thanks again

Slos-10

I don't have any exact number's but I would imagine a 1/2 gal(canister is a 1/2 gal.can) will get you 6-8 passes. As I haven't been to the track ,it's closed. But there are other's who would know like Mr.URL(Chad) who have track experience with the SMC kit. The system will pay for it's self. I was paying 6.00 a gal for Trick-117. Denatured ETOH,retails for about 9.00/gal. Plus was replacing 02 sensors . Origanally I was having it come on to early(10-12lbs) so I dialed it to come on at a higher boost level (pretty close to 14.5lbs.) that saves ETOH, that's if you ain't getting knock before then. I was running a 1gal.:4gal. ratio of 117:91 a week on the street..(well over 50 bucks a month for 8-10 gal of race gas .)To run the higher-boost levels now I'd have to run straight race gas. My wife would kill me!:eek: She got me this kit for our 13th anniversary which was this last monday. For me in six months it pays for it's self,others it may pay for it's self in 8-10 weekends at the track. So the savings are relative to how much you'd be racing. Bottom line is it's a cheaper alternative to use. My friend Streetking would buy 5gal to run one night, once he puts the SMC kit on he'll probably run the whole night for 10-15 dollars(price of Alky and pump-gas) instead of 30 dollars.

Chad,

Can you let us know how long a tank will last? I was thinking it would last more like 20-40 runs. I am figuring if it's only 6-8 runs at $10 that not to good. I can add tolune to a full tank of pump 91 and run about 17-18 lbs of boost and then have the nitrous with a separate tank of race fuel and add about 75hp for less. With nitrous it will add 2-3lbs of boost so I will be at 20-21lbs with no knock and more horsepower. Intial cost is more ($200) but should run quicker.

Chuck

Wilkinshc

He gets 4 (0-120mph runs) and has a 1/3 of a tank left. Using 2-10 nozzles, pump cranked to max and also coming on at 12psi. Running 24lbs of boost at 22*timing. Check out Smc pump flat-out post above,

Mine seems to last quite a bit longer than chads, but I have never had it to the track and I only have a single nozzle. I did 4 @ 0-110 mph runs the other night and didn't even come close to 1/2 tank. I'm running about 24 lbs on 93 octane with a pte 54, and 55lb injectors. You also have to take into acount the 02 sensors if you use leaded gas. I used to do the xylene thing and let me tell you that this is 10x more tunable and easier to use.

The other good thing is that it is always there when you need it, but when you are just cruising you aren't wasting it like you do with racegas or xylene.

Black6pack

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Mine seems to last quite a bit longer than chads, but I have never had it to the track and I only have a single nozzle. I did 4 @ 0-110 mph runs the other night and didn't even come close to 1/2 tank. I'm running about 24 lbs on 93 octane with a pte 54, and 55lb injectors. You also have to take into acount the 02 sensors if you use leaded gas. I used to do the xylene thing and let me tell you that this is 10x more tunable and easier to use.

The other good thing is that it is always there when you need it, but when you are just cruising you aren't wasting it like you do with racegas or xylene.

;) You are absolutely right, you know it's there and as you mention very easy to tune. I just set my FPR at 45 line off and adjusted WOT- 02's with pump-speed and turn on point.,and you don't waste it until you feel the need for speed. My car for what ever the reason ,when I used xylene(costs more the ETOH) it didn't make a big difference(high timing chip probably) and I used the recipes to the very letter. Thats when I went with race gas and pump-gas mixture 1:4. And I'd be able to run 20lbs of Boost, but tuning was a pain to get there and I'd still get some KR, but with the dial turned just right no KR, and that's a relief. But like you said your wasting the race gas/xyelene just driving around. My car is a daily driver and if I need to put the pedal to the metal I know the ALKY is there for a High Boost swig/ charge. I'm running basically stock but with a Pit-bull chip and the timing is high(26*) stock turbo and only 36lb inj., and a stock ac/delco F. pump. The race gas mixture /lead was eating my O2sensors. Not even geting 2mos. But fortunately AutoZone has a manufactors 3 mo. warranty, so I was able to get new sensors replacements, as long as you have a reciept and you trade them in before 3 mos. is up. Haven't tipped the bottle since 1983(on the wagon), i like this Alky better, you don't get a hangover.:eek: Just a Boooosssst!:D

I still don't think it's worth it for 6-8 runs or 4 runs with a dual nozzle with a stock setup. As for O2's the last time I had to replace mine was in March 2001. I only need the nitrous for serious street racers and a bottle will last me 20-30 runs at $25 bucks and 3 gals of race fuel will last 20 nitrous runs. 118 for $3 a gal in 55 gal container. So for $35 I can run 20lbs with a nitrous shot of 75hp. Seems like more bang for the buck. If you have the big turbo and add ons I can see the benefit because I would not run the nitrous on a stock short block.

Just my opinion.

Chuck

wilkinshc,
How often do you run race gas? My O2 sensor would last 1 night with race gas, and at $25 a pop that just doesn't work good with a daily driver! Most people aren't using alky for track purposes. They use it for street purposes. With alky your car is about 95% race trim. Yes, race gas is going to provide slightly more power, but for $8 for a gallon of alky that could last months if you don't get on it all the time and it is always there, it is great for the street.

I will take my car to the track and try to see the best times I can get with the alky, but if I ever decide to make a balls to the wall attempt at a 10 sec time slip I will use race gas.

I use race gas probably 1 time a month with the nitrous. The best way to set it up, is to use a separate fuel cell for the nitrous. When your on the nitrous, the gas side of the nitrous use race gas. We can get 55 barrel of race gas for 165.00. Check out the post on "helllp nos", there is pics of Botlfed's nitrous setup and fuel setup. With nitrous you can use 75hp shot when you need it and if your darning you can up that for $5.

Chuck

ONLY THE BEST

Ok! this guy runs 116 in her tank 24/7 and my O2 sensor will last me about 3 months. And remember its only 25 bucks for an o2 and 5-8 bucks for race gas. thats not bad at all. These cars are a our main interst in dragracing . And you don't put crap gas in your pride and joy when there is some of the best stuff out there for it.
And remember if you can spend thousands of buck on turbos, intercoolers, heads and god only knows what else. Whats a couple of buck for race gas. :D

KEEPS THOSE SUCKERS SET ON KILL 24/7...BECAUSE YOUR REPRESENTING TR'S EVERYWERE........NO MERCY:mad: ;) :mad: