Smoking again! Help

1turbo6

well I did head gaskets on a 3500 mile engine about 6 weeks ago because I thought that was my problem well, it still seems to be smoking oil. I pulled the up pipe off and there is no oil in it or the throttle body. what is the best way to narrow down the search? when I had the heads off the pistons looked pretty dirty(wet cokey oil) I thought it was the gaskets. it does not smoke at start up but I notice it when you rev the car and sometimes while cruising I will see it in the rearview. the turbo did not seem to have any in/out play and minimal up/down play.also exhaust side seemed dry. compression before headgasket replacement was 160ish all cylinders. could it be blowing up through the rings? or valves leaking down? I am running umbrella seals

Any oil comsuption? Miles on the short block? When you had the heads off, how did the cylinder walls look?

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

yes there is some oil consumption. about 3500miles on shortblock. cylinder walls looked good no scoring.

the turbo did not seem to have any in/out play and minimal up/down play.also exhaust side seemed dry.

I had to run/rev up the engine without the downpipe for 30 mins until mine starting leaking oil.

I had to run/rev up the engine without the downpipe for 30 mins until mine starting leaking oil.

did you check the intercooler for oil. i have seen this before. Once you get into boost it would smoke from oil being pushed up into the up-pipe.

I cleaned out the intercooler last year. still seems dry. I am thinking the turbo as well since all of the pistons were wet. I cant see the rings goin on all cylinders. whats the average cost for a rebuild? I think I heard precision started at 180. but limit was 400ish whats the difference besides 220?

i would go with precision. there doing mine right now. They have hooked me up big time.

I'll have to check the intake, I left the throttle body on when I pulled the intake. ports seemed clean from what I recall??? I did check the pcv it seems to still rattle ok. would a leak down show anything as far as a ring problem? If it was the turbo I would guess the exhaust side but that does not explain the pistons. I guess I need to pull the plugs and take a look first.

Do you have a check valve in the pcv line? Rather than rebuilding the 44, I'd go with a new bb. So many good ones out there now...

since it's only about 200 for a rebuild I'll go that route. I'm still not 100% sure it's the turbo. It's either one of 3 things heads, rings, or turbo and the turbo is the easiest to try. figures I put my spare or the car I sold.

How much thrust movement on the turbo shaft(in/out)? Mine had enough to unseat the oil seal on the exhaust side and smoke like the car was on fire!:eek: Jon Hanson