so.. i've finally returned from hell..... :)

kaj

the HA forum. LOL

i recently purchased an '85 GN and have been lurking/studying/asking lots of questions in the HA part of this site. wow. what an experience. i made the mistake of posting the wrong goals for my car. man. did that set people off.
all i wanted was an intercooler. LOL
and when i mentioned i have experience building Hondas? well.. that started a whole new list of names to be called.
my friends and i have built many supercharged and turbocharged cars in our day. we've always intercooled because.. well.. it makes sense. i'm pretty sure that's why GM went with an intercooler on the '86/87 GNs.
anyway, i decided i'm not hard-core HA enough for that part of the board. i did get some AWESOME help from a few members here (thanks guys!) but the rest were just really, really upset that i would change the configuration of my '85.
well.. kinda. they were okay with adding alcohol or e85.. just no intercooler. i thought that was kinda weird. i could add slicks.. traction bars.. anything. just NO INTERCOOLER!
anyway.. it seems the HA forum is for pure HA setups only (....other than alcohol and e85) and that's just not me. i like to upgrade, rebuild, improve, etc.
soooo.. rather than pissing off all those guys, i just decided to become a convert. i'm purchasing an '87 top end to swap and make things easy on myself. it seems the HA stuff takes a LOT of time and effort to make work well and those guys take a lot of pride in that. awesome, but that's not my goal here.

i hope to eventually learn enough here so that i can become a contributing member. the guys at our shop are very good and problem solving and helping others (we've been doing it for years, with other platforms) so, hopefully i'll be able to give as much as i receive!

in a nutshell, here i am starting over. i've deleted my HA subscriptions. any info i need i'll search for. i'm just gonna stick with the part of the board i feel comfortable with. so "hello", guys. i'm Jason from Fresno, CA

i look forward to being a part of this board. i've already learned so much! i went from looking to upgrade everything i can on the car to seeing that i may be happy with a conversion, injectors, fuel pump, exhaust and tune. that's pretty damned sweet.

i finally have a grip on what my car needs, where to get it, and what to expect. thanks, again, to all that have been helping me along the way.

so.. that's it. i guess this is like an updated "introduction" post. thanks for reading!

jason

Welcome to the board. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

Also Don't let us HOTAIR guys get to you. Some of us just love our hotair cars. I could care less what you do to your car its YOUR car. Just enjoy it..

I

Was trying to warn you but you took offense to my comments ..live and learn.. I do have alot of parts you need for your convert. They came off my gn when i upgraded the whole car. Mostly stock parts but thats where you should start. If you want to pm me a list ill get back to you with what i have.& price. Good luck with the project .

man oh man alright look Im a hot air guy, but I have a few cold air cars and hybird setups. It is not as easy as swapping a top end and all that stuff man. Its a wiring harness and everything change. So go back in the hot air section and do some reading and little less thread making and that would be a easy way to find it.

The hot air cars can go fast, but are not as easy as the intercooled (fuel injected) cars. That is the big difference fuel injection and a computer.

Also Don't let us HOTAIR guys get to you. Some of us just love our hotair cars. I could care less what you do to your car its YOUR car. Just enjoy it..

thanks, brotha. i appreciate that. i've wanted one of these cars since '83 when i saw my first one. i'm stoked to own a car that my father and i shared a passion for, back in the day. it's a very cool, nostalgic, and exciting thing for me.

Was trying to warn you but you took offense to my comments ..live and learn.. I do have alot of parts you need for your convert. They came off my gn when i upgraded the whole car. Mostly stock parts but thats where you should start. If you want to pm me a list ill get back to you with what i have.& price. Good luck with the project .

i actually have all the parts lined up. from ecu, harness, right down to the heater core. it's a loooooong list, but i have it all ready to go. i've just been holding off on pulling the trigger. it's a lot more parts than i expected. my son is stoked at the thought of putting it all together and making a running car out of the whole mess. LOL.
i hope to give him the same type of fond memories i got from my father. it will be cool to have three generations tied into the Grand National.

man oh man alright look Im a hot air guy, but I have a few cold air cars and hybird setups. It is not as easy as swapping a top end and all that stuff man. Its a wiring harness and everything change. So go back in the hot air section and do some reading and little less thread making and that would be a easy way to find it.

The hot air cars can go fast, but are not as easy as the intercooled (fuel injected) cars. That is the big difference fuel injection and a computer.

oh, i never thought it would be easy. ;) that's part of the fun. i don't mind putting work into the car. it will all be worth it. i just figure if i'm going to put a ton of time and money into another car, then i may as well go with something that is going to work better (for me) in the long run. no sense in fighting the HA setup. we're VERY excited to get started on this and eventually how off all our hard work.
i did have to calm my son down and tell him that we're not going to start right away. i want to DRIVE the thing for a while. he's more eager than i am. and that's saying a lot. haha.

i'll be sure to post pictures of the family project. my son is VERY much a smart kid and looking forward to getting his hands dirty. i do all i can to include him in any work i do on any of the cars. i can't have him going to Walmart for oil changes.

x2 Amen to that brother

the HA forum. LOL

i recently purchased an '85 GN and have been lurking/studying/asking lots of questions in the HA part of this site. wow. what an experience. i made the mistake of posting the wrong goals for my car. man. did that set people off.
all i wanted was an intercooler. LOL
and when i mentioned i have experience building Hondas? well.. that started a whole new list of names to be called.
my friends and i have built many supercharged and turbocharged cars in our day. we've always intercooled because.. well.. it makes sense. i'm pretty sure that's why GM went with an intercooler on the '86/87 GNs.
anyway, i decided i'm not hard-core HA enough for that part of the board. i did get some AWESOME help from a few members here (thanks guys!) but the rest were just really, really upset that i would change the configuration of my '85.
well.. kinda. they were okay with adding alcohol or e85.. just no intercooler. i thought that was kinda weird. i could add slicks.. traction bars.. anything. just NO INTERCOOLER!
anyway.. it seems the HA forum is for pure HA setups only (....other than alcohol and e85) and that's just not me. i like to upgrade, rebuild, improve, etc.
soooo.. rather than pissing off all those guys, i just decided to become a convert. i'm purchasing an '87 top end to swap and make things easy on myself. it seems the HA stuff takes a LOT of time and effort to make work well and those guys take a lot of pride in that. awesome, but that's not my goal here.

i hope to eventually learn enough here so that i can become a contributing member. the guys at our shop are very good and problem solving and helping others (we've been doing it for years, with other platforms) so, hopefully i'll be able to give as much as i receive!

in a nutshell, here i am starting over. i've deleted my HA subscriptions. any info i need i'll search for. i'm just gonna stick with the part of the board i feel comfortable with. so "hello", guys. i'm Jason from Fresno, CA

i look forward to being a part of this board. i've already learned so much! i went from looking to upgrade everything i can on the car to seeing that i may be happy with a conversion, injectors, fuel pump, exhaust and tune. that's pretty damned sweet.

i finally have a grip on what my car needs, where to get it, and what to expect. thanks, again, to all that have been helping me along the way.

so.. that's it. i guess this is like an updated "introduction" post. thanks for reading!

jason

Dont let some of the guys on this site get to ya.its your car so and YOU PAID FOR IT. They can somewhat be an ass when it comes to somethings do what the hell you want to do to it. they get on my ass about putting 22 inch rims on my car but do you think i care NOPE. AS LONG AS IT PERFORMS GOOD LOOKS GOOD AND RIDE GOOD ITS GOOD.!

i to am a hot air guy confused. im told repeatedly to convert. and i want to. but i cant afford it. not now any way. but its MY CAR and i do what i want to it. inter cooled is cool. but i do got love for the ic cars to. just think of it this way. if it wasn't cuz of the hot air set up gn. there would be no inter cooled set up. to each is there own. i say if you can afford it then go for it.

i want to. but i cant afford it.

I'm looking at $1900 for every part, bracket, and plug. Worth It, IMO, and I just sold my old car....so if I don't do it now, while I have the money, who knows If/when I will.

yea my wife wants me to settle for the ha set up for now till i can affored the whole 86/87 engine. but i know in time i will have enough saved and i know one will come up soon.

yea my wife wants me to settle for the ha set up for n[GVIDEO][/GVIDEO]ow till i can affored the whole 86/87 engine. but i know in time i will have enough saved and i know one will come up soon.

I believe there is a longblock, in the classified section, for $1800. Great starting point if you're looking to swap the complete. engine as well.

i just want a complete engine drop and play 86/87. but like i said i cant afford it now. i just got the gn last month. and i got bills kids and a wife. so i think i will settle for my ha for now till next time and then ill get my drop and play engine. and rebuild my ha. from block up. and sell it.

You guys should try doing a twin turbo rear mount hot air set up if you really want to hear some laughing from your so called turbo buick peers.;)

You guys should try doing a twin turbo rear mount hot air set up if you really want to hear some laughing from your so called turbo buick peers.;)

Oh, yes. I was following that build before I deleted my HA subscriptions. That's a lotta work. Kudos, dude. Id be pulling my hair out.

hey nobody is laughing here, thought it was really cool on the twin turbos. waiting to see if it works like you wanted. as far as 22 not my style takes away from the car but thats my taste not yours each of us have a style and different taste.

Love GN ,T rims but if I was going away from orig's would put late 60's SS craigers on my T cant find but would if I could

Hot air vs Intercooled it's what you want!!!! some of us buy what we can afford and is availiable to us. We then skrimp and save because we have family's, kids or school and our toys are second

We work our butts off to install what we can, weather it's a total restoration,intercooler or a new chip This site has been and still is a great source of information and pride!!

A father son project ,today is a big deal and should be treated as such!

Weather we like it or not we our a group of people with one thing in common our Turbo powered regals B4B,Hot Air,intercooled they are ours and the club only gets smaller So

when you ask about Rims or flames or fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror expected the truth When some one post about a mod so their car will do 8sec 1/4 that great. but remember we all don't have race cars, some of us want race cars and some of us just want the classy GN,TType that we bought and love,we want to be able to drive them more than once a year !turn heads going down the road or at a local car show!

And of course blow the doors off, rice burners, camero's ,challengers an the like Just a thought

hey nobody is laughing here, thought it was really cool on the twin turbos. waiting to see if it works like you wanted. as far as 22 not my style takes away from the car but thats my taste not yours each of us have a style and different taste.

Love GN ,T rims but if I was going away from orig's would put late 60's SS craigers on my T cant find but would if I could

Hot air vs Intercooled it's what you want!!!! some of us buy what we can afford and is availiable to us. We then skrimp and save because we have family's, kids or school and our toys are second

We work our butts off to install what we can, weather it's a total restoration,intercooler or a new chip This site has been and still is a great source of information and pride!!

Weather we like it or not we our a group of people with one thing in common our Turbo powered regals B4B,Hot Air,intercooled they are ours and the club only gets smaller So

when you ask about Rims or flames or fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror expected the truth When some one post about a mod so their car will do 8sec 1/4 that great. but remember we all don't have race cars, some of us want race cars and some of us just want the classy GN,TType that we bought and love,we want to be able to drive them more than once a year !turn heads going down the road or at a local car show!

And of course blow the doors off, rice burners, camero's ,challengers an the like Just a thought

here here.... you are right on the money man.

agreed. it's just that some of the "douchebags", as they have been referred to in my PMs (LOL) couldn't get past some of their own hangups to understand anything i was doing.

no worries. this site has been more enjoyable since i decided to avoid that area. :D