Sod for new lawn

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Still haven't done my back lawn project that I posted about quite a while ago. Starting to lean towards sod now so I can have an instant established lawn. Yes, I know I can't really do too much on it until the roots get going and it will need a lot of watering. The cost is thru the roof but I guess you get what you pay for. Anyone out there go this route and how were the results?

I have called a few hydroseeding places but they have never called back.

I had sod put in my front yard 7 years ago.
IMO it's very dependant on water, looks and feels really nice
in the spring when there is plenty of water but quickly chokes
in the summer months. Water it frequently after it's installed
so the roots grow deep. I also think the quality of the soil
underneath plays a big part in healthy sod.

My neighbor put a good soil base down and seeded his lawn,
it turned out really well and it's more resistant to dry conditions.

i moved into my new house 6 years ago and went through the
same dilemma. My neighbor did the sod, i did the seed. It was ALOT of work (my lot is 60 X 250). Was definitely cheaper with the
seed and looked kinda funny the first year. Spent countless hours watering. I did the seeding early July....

but now, between the seed & sod, you couldnt tell which was which.

I am looking for the instant gratification of new lawn and don't think this is a good time of the year for planting from seed. Topsoil is really good and I am getting some more as I want to level off the rear yard and expand it a bit too.

Just trying to fulfill a fatherly promise to my son that he would have a nice backyard with a swingset by the end of the summer.

Actually you are coming upon the best time to re-seed or add sod.
SEPT is the best time.

I worked for the town I lived in as a youth. They bought the sod from a farm in RI. The truck unloaded it and we all took the rolls via wheelbarrel to the location.

We had to water it like crazy. we hooked up fire hose to hydrant & watered it for 2 hours for 2 weeks everyday. Got lots of OT $$ on that job.

personally I would by the scotts shade or sun mix & throw it down just scrathing the surface. I did that this spring in my backyard & it looks great. It takes a beating from the kids playing on it.

It's too bad you live so far away.I have more than 30'x40' of sod.And it would help me out also by cleaning up the mess in my back yard.I just started the ground work for my new garage so I have lots of sod and loam.