Spark Plug Wire Longevity?

darkfa8

- driving everywhere -
I emailed Taylor Vertex regarding their wires I have on my car, but just was curious if you guys periodically replace them on a certain schedule?

I've had mine on for over 2 years.

I've owned my T for about 93,000 miles and I've used three sets of cheapy 8mm accel wires. Replaced for no reason other than I wanted new, or color change. Never had a problem. Not much help, huh? ;)

Just get a good set and ohm each wire and mark the number for each plug wire on the box. If the ohms change, get a new wire or wires.

I've had the KB ones for about 10+ years and they still ohm out the same.

At least once a year I spray them well with a silicone spray. I also re-dialectic the boots.

I agree with Cappy here. My stockers lasted two years fine and went with the cool Kenne Bell red 8mm wires and they lasted 10 years. If you do the yearly check, clean, and lubricate (silicone) they should last a long long time.

I pulled the end off of one 3 years ago (due to skipping the one year maintenance) and went with the Magnecores 10mm and I think they should go 10 years easily. :)

Clean check and lube them with every plug change. :cool:

ive had magnacore 10mm wires for probably 7 or 8 years and there still in great shape. never been sprayed with silicone and the wires always pop right off the plug with no problems.:D

from Taylor

Dan, barring any external abuse I would expect at least 5 years and with care and cleaning more than that. I have a set of 8MM Sprio Pro wires on my own vehicle that I purchased from a Western Auto store in '91 and they still function without a problem and look nice enough to show. Thanks for the inquiry.

Thank you for choosing Taylor,

Mike Birch
Taylor Cable Products, Inc.
Customer Service Representative
800-821-3600
info@taylorvertex.com

The silicone paste goes on the inside. Lube and dielectric, it's a grease. Nothing to spray on.