Spohn Rear Lower and Upper Control Arm Question

hawkfan

Want to get these installed today. The instructions say to install everything, lower car to regular ride height, and then torque everything to 72 ft/lbs. Is this a typo? How the heck am I supposed to get a torque wrench on anything with the car at regular height on its wheels? Can't I just keep it on jackstands and jack the diff up to approximate ride height and torque everything? If all of the bushings/bearings rotate along with suspension travel like they are designed to, does it even matter if I torque everything at ride height?

Common practice is to torque all fastners while the suspension is at its normal ride height . Ive seen people jack the car up and set the wheels down a cinder blocks. I dont like using something thats not designed for automotive use. Find a shop like Midas,Carx with a drive on lift and bring a case of beer.They will do it. Tell them not to use an impact. The reason you tighten them like thet is if the the car is jacked up and you tighten the bolts, when you let the car down it twists and binds the bushings and can affect the ride height of the car and will affect the life of the bushing and handling of the car and make noise as well.

Common practice is to torque all fastners while the suspension is at its normal ride height . Ive seen people jack the car up and set the wheels down a cinder blocks. I dont like using something thats not designed for automotive use. Find a shop like Midas,Carx with a drive on lift and bring a case of beer.They will do it. Tell them not to use an impact. The reason you tighten them like thet is if the the car is jacked up and you tighten the bolts, when you let the car down it twists and binds the bushings and can affect the ride height of the car and will affect the life of the bushing and handling of the car and make noise as well.
Thanks. So leaving the car on jack stands and then using a jack to move the diff/suspension up to ride won't work? If not, I'll wait until I take the car in to get the front suspension rebuilt to get the rear arms installed. I got other stuff on the car I can work on today anyway.

If you set the stands under rear axle and then jack up the front of the car where its level with the back it will work.

I'm pretty sure jacking up on the axle only would be just fine. The majority of the full weight of the vehicle would still be on the rear end when doing this. if you wanted it perfect, you could jack up the front to make it level. The point they are getting at is don't tighten everything with the suspension fully slacked out.

i've used 2 sets of car ramps before to torque my suspension. i've never had a space issue doin it this way