Spool up difference between TE-66 P trim vs. 70 GTQ?

Steve

I am thinking of upgrading my te-66 p-trim to a 70 GTQ and I would like to know if my converter will work ok with the larger turbo. My 66 had a 4 bolt .81 exhaust housing with an external wastegate set up. The 70 GTQ also has the 4 bolt .81 housing the real difference will be the spool up characteristics between a P trim wheel and a GTQ wheel. My converter is OK with the P trim turbo but I am not sure if it can handle the 70 GTQ. Thanks!

The gtq needs about 600 more at zero to feel the same. There's not a combo out there that will spool a gtq fast (by fast i mean in under a second from a low roll) and couple it in day to day driving. No problem launching off boost but turdly around town. Loosening the converter down low will loosen it even more under power and raise the flash stall out of its optimum range.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for the info, sounds like I should stay with my P trim turbo for the street manners. The P trim with a .81 housing is a little lazy but not too bad on the street and if the GTQ would require that much more to spool I don't think I would be happy with it. Thanks again.

I am not a tuning Pro, all of these are stock ECM cars and most are pump and alky cars.
I just figured I would offer what I had filed away.
You can call them slow, fast whatever but its better than words on a screen.
Not knocking the posted spool opinions, but come on guys.... A camera phone and Youtube is in just about everyone's pocket..
May be the start of a good sticky....

67 GTQ...2600@0 10 unknown converter

70 GTQ Art Carr 2800@0

Igor(means I'm not telling you)...2800@0-1 psi 9.5 PTC

Stock turbo 25 or 2600 D5 pushes brakes

6262 on a ported iron car with a Vigilante single disk 2800@0

The example of the GTQ 70 with a 2800 spooled better than I expected. I have a 3k and it spools just a little slower than the video. Good info, thanks for posting.

I am not a tuning Pro, all of these are stock ECM cars and most are pump and alky cars.
I just figured I would offer what I had filed away.
You can call them slow, fast whatever but its better than words on a screen.
Not knocking the posted spool opinions, but come on guys.... A camera phone and Youtube is in just about everyone's pocket..
May be the start of a good sticky....

67 GTQ...2600@0 10 unknown converter

70 GTQ Art Carr 2800@0

Igor(means I'm not telling you)...2800@0-1 psi 9.5 PTC

Stock turbo 25 or 2600 D5 pushes brakes

6262 on a ported iron car with a Vigilante single disk 2800@0

The info not given is the exhaust housing being used. I have a V band downpipe and an external gate so I am married to the T4 .81 exhaust housing. The spool difference between a garret .63 housing and .81 T4 housing is substantial so I have to factor that in. I am confident the GTQ would work fine at the track and from a brake stall or with the trans brake because that is done on turbo Buicks all the time but I want it to be good on the street without having to brake stall it also.

The info not given is the exhaust housing being used. I have a V band downpipe and an external gate so I am married to the T4 .81 exhaust housing. The spool difference between a garret .63 housing and .81 T4 housing is substantial so I have to factor that in. I am confident the GTQ would work fine at the track and from a brake stall or with the trans brake because that is done on turbo Buicks all the time but I want it to be good on the street without having to brake stall it also.

The 6262 is a Precision .63 and the stock turbo is the normal .63. The rest are .85 Precision 3 bolts.

70gtq .85 ex Art carr 3800 N stall. Left at 6lbs. Trans brake- Doesn't spool quick that's for sure.

Edit- 3inch down pipe through full exhaust mufflers.