Spring maintenance....

MRW487

In a few months I am going to have my timing chain replaced. Since the front cover will be off I plan on having the water pump, cam button, and front main seal replaced as well. Am I missing anything else that might need attention while the front cover is off? It makes sense to me to do all the maintenance that can be done with the cover off and the general area decluttered. I have a mostly stock 117,000mi engine and I don't have any plans to modify it more for the time being. I just want it to be reliable and up to snuff. The cam and crank sensor was replaced recently. I will have to get all the proper gasket kits too. I will buy the parts after Christmas and have them ready for the spring. All advice will be appreciated. I did do some searches but most were older post or the motors in question were considerably higher horsepower that mine. I just want up to date info concerning quality of the parts and vendor info. I have bought parts from Kirbans for my GN and TA Performance parts for my 455 in the past with excellent results and will probably buy what I can from them again. Thanks Guys.

I'm also replacing my timing set over the winter & am interested in the answers to your questions. I did find a complete timing set kit with all the parts & gaskets with the original style gear (nylon coated) at Special Additions. They're supposed to run quieter so as to not set off the knock sensor & as others on this board have said they only last 30 years or 100,000 miles. I also plan to replace the water pump (original) while I'm in there. Hopefully all parts come apart easily for both of us.

In a few months I am going to have my timing chain replaced. Since the front cover will be off I plan on having the water pump, cam button, and front main seal replaced as well. Am I missing anything else that might need attention while the front cover is off? It makes sense to me to do all the maintenance that can be done with the cover off and the general area decluttered. I have a mostly stock 117,000mi engine and I don't have any plans to modify it more for the time being. I just want it to be reliable and up to snuff. The cam and crank sensor was replaced recently. I will have to get all the proper gasket kits too. I will buy the parts after Christmas and have them ready for the spring. All advice will be appreciated. I did do some searches but most were older post or the motors in question were considerably higher horsepower that mine. I just want up to date info concerning quality of the parts and vendor info. I have bought parts from Kirbans for my GN and TA Performance parts for my 455 in the past with excellent results and will probably buy what I can from them again. Thanks Guys.
If the cover has never been off there's probably quite a bit of wear on the oil pump. The cover will most likely need to be lapped and all clearances checked. The pump cover gaskets come in varying thicknesses and you need the correct one to get the tolerances correct. Also carefully drill out the oil feed holes to 1/2".

If the cover has never been off there's probably quite a bit of wear on the oil pump. The cover will most likely need to be lapped and all clearances checked. The pump cover gaskets come in varying thicknesses and you need the correct one to get the tolerances correct. Also carefully drill out the oil feed holes to 1/2".
I've heard about drilling out the feed holes but worry about lowering overall oil pressure even though it should increase volume.

If your bearings are all good the oil pressure shouldn't change. If you blocked off the feed lines the oil pressure would go way up but the bearings wouldn't be getting any oil. Pressure is only part of the equation opening up the feed lines just lets the oil flow to the parts that need it more easily.

If your bearings are all good the oil pressure shouldn't change. If you blocked off the feed lines the oil pressure would go way up but the bearings wouldn't be getting any oil. Pressure is only part of the equation opening up the feed lines just lets the oil flow to the parts that need it more easily.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Thanks for the responses. As far as the timing chain I am considering the TA_V15522B Silent. Any pros/cons using this kit with my setup? I forgot to mention as far as oil pressure goes mine is fine assuming my gauge is accurate. I can video mine at startup, cruising and WOT and compare them to my Dad's 45K mile stock engine GN and the readings are within 1 or 3 lbs. We both have VDO oil pressure gauges. My gauge reads approx. 59-60 psi at startup and 20-21psi at hot idle. Hot cruising pressure is about 45 psi and WOT oil pressure is at 56-59 psi if I am remembering that right. Thanks for listening to all my questions guys.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. As far as the timing chain I am considering the TA_V15522B Silent. Any pros/cons using this kit with my setup? I forgot to mention as far as oil pressure goes mine is fine assuming my gauge is accurate. I can video mine at startup, cruising and WOT and compare them to my Dad's 45K mile stock engine GN and the readings are within 1 or 3 lbs. We both have VDO oil pressure gauges. My gauge reads approx. 59-60 psi at startup and 20-21psi at hot idle. Hot cruising pressure is about 45 psi and WOT oil pressure is at 56-59 psi if I am remembering that right. Thanks for listening to all my questions guys.
Where are you getting it from? Does it have the nylon coated gear? I'm in the same boat & am looking for the best choice so I only do this once.

Drop the oil pan and do that gasket as well, if it needs a rear main seal that would also be the time to do it.

The front cover little pieces around the front of the oil pan with the kits won't seal that come with the timing cover kit so get a new oil pan gasket.

X2 on dropping the oil pan. There may be pieces of the original nylon gears in the pan. The TA silent chain is a great way to go. Billet steel gears and a quiet link chain.

I will get the TA_1522B Timing Chain from TA Performance and the water pump and all the remaining gaskets and front and rear seals from Kirbans. I might go ahead and get a new belt tensioner too. I will send my orders out closer to spring incase I add something to the list.

Earl did'nt you at one time sell timing covers modded ready to install? I believe I bought one years back from you for my other GN.

Back when I had time I did. I've been working on making covers from scratch with my oil mods already done to them.... but that's been on the back burner for a couple years now. The piston project took over (along with about 1,000 other things*)