stage two

turbogus

how much do you guys think it would cost to build a stage two motor assuming i have the block .crank and rods .the block does need some sleeves its a on centre block 4,1

Maybe..

how much do you guys think it would cost to build a stage two motor assuming i have the block .crank and rods .the block does need some sleeves its a on centre block 4,1

try a search. This gets hashed over several times/yr. You can bet on buying a finished engine for ALOT less than the cost of starting from scratch....

Heads.......
What style heads are you going to run? Champion? TA or Satge? 1600-$4500

Intake......
You would need an on center intake for production style heads if you go that route. If you go with stage heads then you need a carb converted on center intake or custom sheet metal intake. $600-$2500

Headers......
For production style head setup, you can use stock style headers however for stage heads you will have a hard time finding headers for it. ATR is out of business so you may have to get some custom made.$500-$2000

Oiling.........
Oncenter blocks do not have internal oil pickup unless you have the few odd ball early style blocks that came with them; you would need to buy an external oil pump setup that is setup to pick the oil from the side of the pan.
With oil pump, front cover,custom oil pan and the fitting it can run $600-$1800.

Cam, lifters, push rods, timing chain, springs$1000-$2000

Stage II motor mounts $225-$250

The list goes on for other misc things like, the dog house, bigger TB, fittings, fuel rail bla,bla, bla.

You also need to spend money on your block to get it sleeved, bored and decked

There is more than one way to skin a cat and like Chuck stated, it's a lot cheaper to buy one thats already done.

Good luck

Prasad

thanks for the info.youre making me think about this venture but i have the block crank rods and oil pan

I've been wondering the same thing. How much to build an offcenter S2 shortblock?

I can also tell you guys one more thing; if you have the time, patients and a little knowledge to what to look for; you can get things done in some what inexpensive for a stage build up. I have about $6000 into my stage II build up so far. I waited and watched the board for goods deals, some wheeling and dealing. I started this project back in 2002 and I wasn't in any hurry to get it done. As you can tell, we are almost at the end of 2008.

The items that I need to get to this project done are; the cam and the oil pump setup. I also want to get few things powder coated.
As long as you don't rip your car apart, you can take your time and build your stage project and still have fun with your Buick. In my case, I a not using any of my stock parts in my stage II build up, it is a staged headed street car. I didn't want to rip my car a part so to this day it is still running with the factory block and all the bolt ons.

Watch the board for real good deals also by doing searches, talking to the right people and asking a lot of questions, you will be able to gain knowledge and get things done with in a reasonable cost.
I owe a great deal to Odell or OC for most of us, Mike Booher or Blown V6, Mike from Full Throttle, and others members on this board including Mac in SD. The list goes on for the people that helped me and guided me through my build up.

As far as building an off center motor, the only cost difference will be; assuming that you are going production style head setup, you will NOT have to buy an intake or external oiling system. The off center and on center rods are different but you wouldn't want to use the stock rods any way in your stage block with all the other expensive parts. It all depends on what you want to do, if you are building a radical stage II then it doesn't matter, you would need maximum flowing heads which are stage heads, you would want a sheet metal intake and a better oiling system.

Just my $.02
Prasad

You can buy a Stage 2 Car complete and running (decent/nice condition) for $18k-$20K, something to think about instead of spending 20K on just the motor.

Buy a complete stage II car, take what you want and part out the rest. I did and ended up with around $4k in mine.