Stainless Torque

v6turboman

Just picked up some ARP stainless from Alloyboltz, and it came with some
torque spec's that very for GM spec's the spec's gave to me by Alloy was
size related 1/4 in, 5/16th and so on. My question is should I us buick ft/lb
or Alloybolz recommendation for torque on the intake and exaust & water
pump? Your inputs are greatly appeciated.

Two things to remember when using stainless fasteners.

Use anti sieze! Don't want any thread gawling.

Don't use Buick torque specs otherwise you're liable to snap the fasteners off. Stainless fasteners are far more brittle.

Stainless stronger than grade 8. :confused: Must be some new kind of stainless I've never heard of.

Not a metal expert but this is there claim.

Buick 231 V-6 Turbo V-6 Grade 8 ARP Bolt Kit
[231TurARP] $146.50
Buick 231 V-6 Turbo V-6 Grade 8 ARP Bolt Kit
Click to enlarge

Dress Up Your Buick 231 Turbo V-6 With This awesome 137 Piece Grade 8 Stainless Steel ARP bolt kit!!

ARP grade 8 stainless bolts have a tensile strength of 170,000 psi. That's slightly stronger than grade 8 steel bolts! Yet they are extremely resistant to rust and corrosion. More resistant than 304 stainless!! They have a reduced size hex and a flanged head for easier installation in tight spots.

We make these bolt kits from our stock of ARP bolts to our specs. All bolts and washers in the kit are polished. Our washers are custom made to our specs. As you can see in the picture, we don't just send all AN flat washers like you will get elsewhere.

I just replaced my intake bolts with stainless and they went to 45 ft-lbs A-OK...

stainless bolts has a grade of 2 not 8

the material ARP uses is quite a bit different than the stuff at your local hardware store. probably some aerospace grade stuff that they use to make automotive fasteners.
there is a reason ARP bolts are expensive- it's because they are better.
i'd just snug them down with a ratchet and not worry about any specific torque value.