Stalled on the freeway!

gndriver

I'm driving with my family in the GN on I-95 north when it just dies. No hesitation just dies. We coasted off the freeway where I proceded to check all my fuses and to check whether my fuel pump was turning on or not, It did and I just installed a fuel filter and it didnt hesitate like if it was a fuel problem. I took off a spark plug wire and told to wife to crank her up. Expecting to be jolted out of my shoe's to my dismay i wasnt. What do you guys think it might be?:confused: Hopefully nothing serious like the spark control module.

same thing happened to me in 1990 with my first gn....had car towed home where i found out the timing chain had broken.also my second gn died in traffic a few years ago,in that case it was my crank sensor that took a willy.:( Are you getting spark,fuel,and are your rocker arms moving when ignition key is turned on......my third gn had a bad ignition module when it was a week into my possesion....yea ive had alot of these cars and currently have two.....good luck let us know what it is

I too put my money on a crank sensor.

Do yourself a favor and buy two. Put one in the glovebox. It's just as handy as a spare tire. :p

I will also say it is the crank sensor. How many miles on the car?,was the timming chain ever changed?, does the motor sound any different than before when you crank it?

any news yet as to the problem,crank sensor is an easy fix if its the problem......goodluck

No news as of yet will try to take it to the garage tomorrow even though it will be expensive towing it:(

Cheaper to have a fellow TR guy come by and help you out by swapping out the coilpak/ignition module or crank sensor. Saves tow and generic mechanic charges. Sounds like a commercial for my have a spare coilpak sales. "and your car won't start......who knows where"....:(

Hey John dont go to far away;)
I might need you to send me your coil pack and ign module really fast If I'm lucky.

well i have a N/A 3.8 and my rotar blew into 1000 pieces and it jus died the same way......if it helps

to be honest if i had to guess i think its the module but Im going to try to get a friend over here with his gn and the first thing im going to try from his car is the crank sensor but that's IF i can get him over here

This sounds far fetched but it happened to me. Check the drive belt to see if its running towards the inside of the lower pulley along the edge. I was cruising along at 85-85-85-85 one eve and mine just quit....... no spark, no codes, no nothing. Swapped out a brand new crank sensor and... nothing. It was about this time I noticed the belt riding funny, it was dark and on the side of the road. Well the to make this little story short the balancer bolt backed out enough to disenguage the reluctor ring hence no crank sensor output. You'll need a 1.125" socket and about 225 ft lbs of torque;)
If all is well(lower pulley wise) sounds like a C.S. prob to me

HTH...Geoff

Well here it is guys It was the crank sensor! The bracket was broken in half and the sensor itself was a little plastic piece no bigger than a quater. I installed the new crank sensor but it seems to be touching. I spent the last 3 and half hours trying to adjust it but to no avail. Damn i hate that car, but i love it too. Its a PITA! :mad:

Here's something I posted some time ago regarding adjusting the crank sensor:

It seems there are quite a few ways to set the Crank Position Sensor...matchbook cover...soda bottle bottom(which they don't make anymore...I can't find any)...folded paper...etc. which all work fine...there is also a tool made by Thexton(GM Crankshaft/Camshaft Sensor Alignment Gauge) which can be bought at NAPA...for $5.49...Part #700-1791...you actually get two tools in the package...it's just two pieces of flexible plastic that are connected at one end...you slide the tool inside the sensor groove with the interrupt ring in between the two pieces on the tool...works very well...as for the thickness of the tool I was curious so I used a dial caliper and the plastic pieces measured out at exactly .020 each...

OK tomorrow i will try the matchbook cover and the folded sheet of paper. If that doesnt work I guess I'll go and get the napa part. Oh yeah since i had to take of the intercooler and shroud off what would be the drawbacks of running without an intercooler shroud?

idea!

You can use a feeler gauge, if you have one. Just measure .020-.025 between the reluctor ring and the sensor.

Just a word of advice: Spend the extra bucks for a GM sensor. I cannot tell you how many bad experiences I've had with inferior brand sensors giving out after a ridicuously short time. It's truly worth the investment. Good luck!!