starter heat shield

Bobs rare 6

Is there any good heat tape or wrap for a starter solonoid? I seem to have issues with heat soak no crank conditions both with stock style and lt4 starters. Only after sits for 5 minutes then has to sit 5-10 minutes to crank.

there were shields from the factory
one on the block held with two small bolts that protected the solenoid
and another small shield held with the transmission belhousing that protected the fusable links

any cracks in the pass header? common is around the #6 tube which wont help the heat situation

also cables can get hot and actup
a power or ground wire near the header can cause issues

No cracks. Solnoid will not even click. Once cools for 5-10 minutes will crank fine. Problem is it only does this after a realy good heat soak , so by the time I can get a test light the problem is gone.

GM's are notorious for this. Look at this link

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/solenoid.htm

Thats how you fix it once and for all. Basically when heat increases so does resistance in wires and in the starter, you don't have enough power to crank it. The real fix is to use a ford starter solenoid and higher guage wires. Did this on my 2nd gen camaro and it fixed it for good.

hello; I've heard about using a separate solenoid and I think ford has done that for years. I was thinking about that with my Olds I had. There was a heat sheild sold for it and that's what I did.
Dsapper did you do that with your TB? If so I'd like to see the set-up.
IBBY

No need on mine. I ceramic coated the full exhaust and turbo and ran a 1/0 cable to the starter

Put on some dei heat tape around starter. Will now have to wait for heat soak crank test to see If helps.