Starter kicked in on it's own...

Mac in SD

Strange happenings. Car was running fine, pulled into the garage, turned ignition off, engine stopped as normal. Then, after I got out of the car, the starter turned on and kept cranking until I disconnected the battery. Wires to the starter look good, but I pulled them off and ensured there was no contact between the terminals. Now it seems to be fine.

Any ideas for an electrically-challenged guy from you more competent types out there? BTW its a mini-starter.

Are you using the stock bat cable? If so, it has a little tab that if just the right angle, it'll touch the "S" terminal and kick in the starter.

Yeah, stock cable, Brudda. :) Thanks.

And I think that might have been it. The tab was rotated all the way around toward the S terminal. I rotated it away. Hope that's all it takes.

One of these days I gotta actually learn and understand electricity and circuits!

This happened to me on my old blazer.The solenoid was rusty inside and it got stuck in the start position.Replaced the starter and it was fixed.

I had the exact same thing happen on my GN when I first got it and I just replaced it with a $40 starter from O'Reilly's and no problems since!

commence the hacking!!!!

Since the thread starter's questions and concerns have been addressed-- I was wondering if I may thread hack? :)

Where is this S terminal? On the batt or on the starter... and it begs the question, where is the starter on our TRs? :D :D thanks for the help in advance!

S terminal is located on the starter solenoid, which is located on the starter motor which is bolted to the passenger side of the engine, from underneath of course.Hope this helps.

It does indeed! Thanks! Any tips as to keeping that thing rust free, in hopes to avoid this problem?

Originally posted by TurboBuickSix
S terminal is located on the starter solenoid, which is located on the starter motor which is bolted to the passenger side of the engine, from underneath of course.Hope this helps.