Starting hard

hotzlucas

Been working on the GN for a few months went to start it but it's not starting, battery charger is hooked to it. Is this normal should I keep cranking away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been working on the GN for a few months went to start it but it's not starting, battery charger is hooked to it. Is this normal should I keep cranking away?

What kind of work have you been doing on it for a few months?

Why do you have the battery charger hooked up to it?

No it's not normal for it not to start. It should start after the starter cranks the engine over a couple of revolutions. If not there is a problem! Don't continue to crank it over,find out what the problem is and fix it.

Tell us some history about your car; how long have you had it, how many miles on it, what mods have been done to it, how do you drive it? do you race it? have you replaced any parts on it or does it still have the originals? Do you have a scan tool hooked up? Please feel free to let us know, the more info you can provide the better.

Last edited:
What kind of work have you been doing on it for a few months?

Why do you have the battery charger hooked up to it?

No it's not normal for it not to start. It should start after the starter cranks the engine over a couple of revolutions. If not there is a problem! Don't continue to crank it over,find out what the problem is and fix it.

Tell us some history about your car; how long have you had it, how many miles on it, what mods have been done to it, how do you drive it? do you race it? have you replaced any parts on it or does it still have the originals? Do you have a scan tool hooked up? Please feel free to let us know, the more info you can provide the better.

I had the a/c compressor seize up so I deleted that and put a by pass pulley on it, had the intake plenum powder coated cleaned up some wiring and that's about it. I checked spark has spark but no fuel coming out of the valve on the fuel rail

It's very normal for the engine to crank over and not start, if there is spark and no fuel.

Yeah think the fuel pump went out

If there is no fuel at the end of the rail with the Shraeder valve out or depressed, it is more than likely a wiring issue. Pumps go out and get weak but rarely produce zero volume.

I have the 12v hot wire for the pump I think it may be the issue

I had the a/c compressor seize up so I deleted that and put a by pass pulley on it, had the intake plenum powder coated cleaned up some wiring and that's about it. I checked spark has spark but no fuel coming out of the valve on the fuel rail

I have to ask.

Did the engine crank over normal and start before you did this?

What does that mean when you said " cleaned up some wiring "

If you have spark and no fuel, of course it's not going to start. But i know you know this.

I guess it's normal then for the engine to crank over and not start if it doesn't have fuel!!

All i know is when i crank my engine over. I do it to start it,not just to see if it will crank over.

I'm not very good at being a detective so i will chime out and let others help you.Good luck you will get it fixed!!

Unplug the hot wire and plug it back to stock, see if the pump turns on and you get fuel. This takes about one minute to check so you can move on quick if it doesnt work.