Steel crank using stock rods

tcgn

To keep the cost down by just buying the steel crank only, can I reuse the stock rods and TRW pistons? Can the steel crank be externally balance using the stock balancer and flexplate? What other machining work for the crank is required?
:confused:

To keep the cost down by just buying the steel crank only, can I reuse the stock rods and TRW pistons? Can the steel crank be externally balance using the stock balancer and flexplate? What other machining work for the crank is required?

Yes, you can use the stock rods and pistons. Cranks can be internally or externally balanced, so just provide all the parts to the machinist to balance all together. No other machine work for the crank (stock stroke) is necessary. Well, other than having the machinist or builder check the crank. Some cheaper cranks need turned or at least polished, etc to be correct. Most cranks are not 100% drop in ready.

Stock rods and TRW's are good for most builds. I ran mine into the 10's for years. The cost of balancing will cost a bit more with that crank, but can be done.

Thanks for the reply. How much did you spend on the balancing just to get the idea?

if you have a internal balanced crank you need a zero balanced harmonic balancer and flywheel you cant use the stock stuff.most steel cranks are internal balanced

On some vendor website that sells the steel crank mentioned that it can be externally or internally balance. But TR Custom did not specify. I am thinking about buying the stock stroke steel crank from TR Customer Parts before the sale ends this Monday morning. Have anyone buy from TR custom? Are they legit and reliable vendor? I'm rarely do business with a company that do not have a phone number to contact in case of problems should arise. They are contacted through email.

Mark is ....

a great guy to do business with.He's just a small business and that's the reason for the e-mail only. He is real supportive and his products are usually proven quality. It takes a lot for a one-man show to keep up w/demand at times.:cool:
Just send him an e-mail and ask him about the balance question, who knows, he might even hold the sale over for you?:eek:

On some vendor website that sells the steel crank mentioned that it can be externally or internally balance. .....l.

We have Eagle forged cranks that are externally balanced, and as far as I know, this entire specific run of cranks was purchased exclusively by us.

No other vendor I know about had or sold external balanced forged cranks. :cool:

All of the internal Chinese cranks that I have used (about 4 or 5) have needed to be trued up on the rod journals. The stroker engine I am currently working on required the mains and the rod journal to be undersized .001" in order to get them either in spec. or to remove the crown. The last internal stroker kit cost me $200 to balance with the stock harmonic balance and a neural balance flex plate.
Jeff

Eagle forged crank

Hi Nick,
Are the Eagle steel crank made in China? Do I still need to give the crank, stock rods, pistons, stock balancer and flexplate to a machine shop to get it externally balanced?

Most aftermarket Buick cranks are forged in China. The last motor I built using an Eagle crank(stock stroke) I used with stock rods and Speed Pro(TRW) forged pistons. I bought a neutral balanced flexplate from Nick Micale and machined the stock balancer to make it neutral also. The motor ran mid 10's for me for 2 years in a full wieght car. I sold the car to another board member and the motor is still together and running mid 10's with the new owner for 3 more years.

Most aftermarket Buick cranks are forged in China. The last motor I built using an Eagle crank(stock stroke) I used with stock rods and Speed Pro(TRW) forged pistons. I bought a neutral balanced flexplate from Nick Micale and machined the stock balancer to make it neutral also. The motor ran mid 10's for me for 2 years in a full wieght car. I sold the car to another board member and the motor is still together and running mid 10's with the new owner for 3 more years.

That's what I'd like to do. So what does it take to neutral balance a stock style balancer? I'm trying to use what I have...