Steering box question???

Gbodynutt

I want to change my steering box and wondering what you all would recommend I get for my G-body. I'm looking for one with a bit more "feel" or resistance to it. I've heard about using like an 86 ?? one from an Iroc. Is that correct ,and would I have to change my pitman too? Also would one from a GN do about the same job or is the Iroc one better??? Thanks in advance for any advice.

The 84-87 Turbo Regals,83-88 Monte SS, 83-84 Hurst Olds and 85-87 442 all use the same box. The Z28/Trans Am F bodies with 15 inch wheels use the same box as well. The box people sometimes make a big deal over is the XH code found in 85-92 F bodies factory equipt with 16" wheels. The difference in the box is in the internal stops to avoid tire to fender contact. It will make your turning radius wider. The additional road feel you speak of is a function of the pressure valve in the pump not the box.
All of the performance steering boxes I mentioned are specific ratios. The non performance boxes are variable.
Regardless, if you do swap boxes and use a box from an F body, make sure you replace the pitman arm with the correct one for a G body Saginaw 800 box as they are different.

I installed a steering box from a GN that had the steering resistance, "road feel"you speak of, into my TType. My TType had real easy steering, with no resistance. Upon changing the steering box, and NO other components, my TType then had the steering resistance I was looking for.

Finding a box will be the difficult part unless you buy new. You can't tell if it will provide the desired "feel" by looking at it.

I thought that the turbo regals,H/O 442 are 16:1 and the monte ss had a 14:1 ratio box. is this true??

Originally posted by Red Regal T
I installed a steering box from a GN that had the steering resistance, "road feel"you speak of, into my TType. My TType had real easy steering, with no resistance. Upon changing the steering box, and NO other components, my TType then had the steering resistance I was looking for.

Finding a box will be the difficult part unless you buy new. You can't tell if it will provide the desired "feel" by looking at it.

The reason why you saw a difference is most likely your car had a variable ratio box which has less restiance as it gets closer to on center. The performance boxes in the 82-up F bodies as well as the G bodies use a specific ratio of 14:1
The Saginaw 800 is the box that all of the 82-up F bodies used.
The G bodies can have either a Saginaw 605 or an 800
In the standard non performance applications, GM used the variable ratio 605 or 800. There really is no reason why this is. I do know that I have had 4 different 78 Chevy Malibus.
My first one was a 305 with F41 and had the 800. The second was also a 305 but non F41 and had the 605. Another was a 305 non F41 and also had the 605. The last one was a V6 non F41 and had a Saginaw 800. The non performance F41 cars could have an 800 box with variable ratio internals.
You have to be aware that GM valved the power steering pumps to match the box. The regulator is in the pressure hose outlet of the pump. One trick for adding feel to an existing box is to stretch the spring in the regulator OR install a stiffer spring.

Irregardless of all that great information, changing ONLY the steering box, a box I knew to have the "resistance" steering, changed the no resistance steering on my TType to the desired resistance feel. To me, that eliminates the idea that the pump valving has much to do with it. While it may have some small part in the overall picture, the box seems to be the main ingredient.

I had changed before to an 80s camaro close ratio steering box. It made no difference in the "feel". Just made less full turns lock to lock than my original steering box. So, unless you purchase a new box with the resistance feel promised, you'll probably have a hard time finding a used one. Perhaps it's possible to re-valve the pump somehow, but I don't think many mechanics would have a clue how to go about doing it....probably even if you gave him written instructions. ;) And if he did, I'd hate to see the bill. :eek:

Cool, thanks all. I am planing on buying new anyway so I will have to check with the parts places and see what they offer. Part of the problem with mine too is there is also a little slop in it, but the main thing to me is the driving with my pinky that I don't like.
Thanks again.

The people at Lee Manufacturing should be able to answer any questions you may have. I copied this from another website's post. That's why there is a price in the address. Good luck!
Lee Manufacturing
11661 Pendelton St.
Sun Valley, CA 91352
818-768-0371 (talk to Tom Lee, et al.)
Cost $210
Tom Lee - Lee Manufacturing at 818-768-0371

The stock G body box performance box in the 84-87 Turbo Regals, 83-88 Monte SS, 83-87 Hurst Olds/442 is already 12.4:1 if I remember correctly. You also have to remember that the final ratios will be slightly different when using F body boxes as the F bodies have pitman and idler arms that are different lengths. Both of which affect the final ratio and results.