Still no oil going to turbo, what would you do?

nickd2689

ok so my 84 buick curse still isnt getting oil to the turbo, it was working fine before the intake job. the line isnt plugged, and ive been cranking and cranking, i primed the pump with vaseline a few days ago, still nothing. JaysGN said something about a pressure relief valve but when i took it apart all that came out was a spring, how do i check this valve? what else would you do if it was your car? please help lol. thank you.

279919_front200.jpg

matches3.jpg

ok so my 84 buick curse still isnt getting oil to the turbo, it was working fine before the intake job. the line isnt plugged, and ive been cranking and cranking, i primed the pump with vaseline a few days ago, still nothing. JaysGN said something about a pressure relief valve but when i took it apart all that came out was a spring, how do i check this valve? what else would you do if it was your car? please help lol. thank you.

have you disconnected the turbo line and seen if there is oil coming out of the line? if there is, maybe a plug in the turbo?

if not could be something farther down the line.

A.j.

yea, thats how i found out there was no oil going to the turbo, any ideas? as for the lighter fluid and matches, tempting, but id rather not, im really close to getting this thing working properly.

yea, thats how i found out there was no oil going to the turbo, any ideas? as for the lighter fluid and matches, tempting, but id rather not, im really close to getting this thing working properly.

ok so theres no oil coming out of the line, OK.

step 2 have you removed the adapter from the block and spun it to see if oil comes out of there?

A.j.

do you mean the cover for the oil pump? and spin the gear? i did try to spin the gear with the shaft on it and it didnt spin, however i didnt put too much force into it cause i didnt want to break it. after about 15 minutes of cranking it yesterday, i pulled off the oil filter again and it was empty.

yup it sounds like your not taking a prime. sometimes no matter how long you crank the pump just wont spin fast enough to take a prime. so you will need to hand prime it.

re-assemble your pump and pack it with assembly grease. (vasaline works too)

pull your cam sensor and use a drill with a priming tool to spin it up. you should start seeing pressure. (if you have a mechanical gauge - get a helper to watch for pressure)

I bet this is the problem, you need to hand prime the engine first.

A.j.

is there oil in the motor:D :D

is the oil pump shaft still connected to the cam sensor, or cam sensor to cam
gear
relife valve should have a spring and plunger

look at a parts diagram to help your self out

did you prime the filter might help

post more detaild info on what you did and why

im gonna try priming the filter as a last resort, just cause i dont know anything about the cam sensor, and am a little weary of messing with it. but i had primed the pump with vaseline 3 times already can i put too much in? where do i get a prime tool and for how much? do i have to do this after every oil change? i dont know anything about what the cam sensor/gear is connected to. i dont have an oil pressure guage on that thing either. lol please tell me theres an easier way to do this.

Look at it this way;
If you rank the engine to around the 600 RPM mark, the cam spins at 300 rpm.
If you prime it with a drill at 600 rpm, that is 1200 crankshaft rpm
Understand you "should" not have any issues, but apparently that is not the case.

Personally, I would never crank the engine that long without oil pressure.
But I am old, tired and paranoid. ;)

Get a SBC priming tool.
You may want to try filling the oil filter about 50% and trying it again.

I also realize you only changed the intake gasket, but still not sure why you decided to pull the oil pump apart.
If you have ANY leak between the sealing surfaces, you will be hard pressed to prime the system while cranking it.

Let us know what you find.

i only pulled the oil pump apart because when i finished the intake, before i reconnected the oil line to the turbo, i wanted to check to make sure i had oil going to the turbo, however i did not, so i pulled the oil pump apart to pack it with vaseline. the gasket for the oil pump was in rough shape, but it didnt look like it needed immediate attention, are you sayinng that this can make it difficult to prime? usually it will prime with no trouble. thank you.

...... the gasket for the oil pump was in rough shape, but it didnt look like it needed immediate attention, are you sayinng that this can make it difficult to prime? .......

Well, I am no expert, but I know for a fact that a small air leak can create a lot of issues.
Hopefully, it is something that simple, or even simpler.

ill try that to start, tmrw ill go grab a gasket for it, hopefully it will work.

make sure that adapter is not groved or really scrached up
theres differnt thinkness gaskets that can be had to put in there

how could you lose oil pressure after changing intake gaskets?? if there was nothing wrong with the bottom end before you did any work
why did you have to change intake gaskets. was the motor eating water

ok this is a little bit of a story, i got the car when i was 16 its mine and my dads project car, when i was 17 i didnt really have any money for the more expensive parts i needed and i was bored so i just started taking things apart (stupid i know this now, but thats how i discovered the turbo was blown) so when i put the turbo oil drain line back on, i pushed the grommet (which was in rough shape) down the intake, when i replaced the gasket, i didnt use sealant because it gave seals for the front/rear of the engine, (i didnt know anything back then, ive actually finished school, and just started my career as a mechanic) so now im 20, and after a suspected vacuum leak (stalling if not incredibly slow on throttle from a stop, low boost, high idle) i decided to do the intake properly. before i connected the oil feed line, i wanted to crank the car to make sure i had oil, which i did not so i took the adapter off to prime the pump, and it didnt work 3 times. this is why i did what i did.