Still pulling a ton of oil through the pcv!!

Maltman

Well, I installed that nice catch-can with a one-way check valve b/w the tb and the pcv. I'm really confused though since it collects so much oil in the canister. I get about 4-5 uses out of the car...maybe a couple more....before it needs to be drained!

Is there anything to slow down the rate of oil being picked up? I had to spray down the tb since some actually made it past the catch can and into the lines and tb/plenum. It wasn't bad, but even a little is too much for me.

Is there a better manifold gasket that guards the pcv?? Or is there a better pcv that compensates somehow for oil being thrown near it?

Thanks

Don't try to rig things to keep the oil out. I had a similar problem on my previous truck. What you're experiencing is improper air flow thru the crankcase. Somewhere you have a clog or broken line preventing the crankcase from breathing properly. Get it fixed asap or you're looking at some bad mojo in the future (speaking from exp).

Maltman said:
Well, I installed that nice catch-can with a one-way check valve b/w the tb and the pcv. I'm really confused though since it collects so much oil in the canister. I get about 4-5 uses out of the car...maybe a couple more....before it needs to be drained!

Is there anything to slow down the rate of oil being picked up? I had to spray down the tb since some actually made it past the catch can and into the lines and tb/plenum. It wasn't bad, but even a little is too much for me.

Is there a better manifold gasket that guards the pcv?? Or is there a better pcv that compensates somehow for oil being thrown near it?

Thanks

Most any *used* engine is going to have some oil *vapor* in the PCV lines. The big droplets fall out of suspension rather easily, but the vapor can be a bugger to totally eliminate. It almost sounds as if your being extremely critical about the amount bypasses the seperator. About all I can say, is the larger the Seperator, the better.

FWIW, I had a plate welded over the stock PCV hole, and then drilled and tapped the back of the manifold for a Mopar PCV, it uses a pipe thread on the one end. Then I have the hose off of that going straight up about 6" before it ties into the check valve, and from there to the Plenum.

I am probably a little too worried, but the engine is basically a new rebuild as of about 3k ago. It always had some problems with oil coming out the valve cover breathers and getting into the pcv lines/tb/plenum before and after the build. I was just hoping that there was an easy fix that I was missing. The catch can works fine, I just need to stay after it more often I guess.

I wish I could get a vac hooked up to take care of the crankcase pressures and help with this...but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do that.

...and I'll be doing a pressure check for leaks in a couple days and if the manifold leaks, I'll have to get some more info on that mod you did bruce (i.e. pics or instructions) :D

Thanks guys

I used a 15/16" freeze plug and blocked off the pcv totally. I now run two breather on each valve cover and haven't had any probs. You will have to clean the breathers though. All that is left is a scavenging pump.

HTH

trading t/a said:
I used a 15/16" freeze plug and blocked off the pcv totally. I now run two breather on each valve cover and haven't had any probs. You will have to clean the breathers though. All that is left is a scavenging pump.

HTH

I didn't think we could even get away with that on these cars! Will GN1 valve covers with the K&N slip-in filters be enough for venting?? It seems like that would put a lot of pressure in the case if I'm getting any sort of blow-by or leaks under boost....but maybe not.

I have thought about the pump many times with this thing, but it would be a difficult fit and extra moding that I don't want to do....

btw, I even have the dip stick popping up about 1/4" after a drive...which i'm not sure if it is do to vibrations or pressure...but it makes me even more nervous to plug up the pcv.

I'll have to do some searching on the plugged pcv option.

The 03 cobra has an electric air pump run it reversed and it'll pull 4 inches of vaccum this article said. One of the major car mags did it, that may be all you need. You could also use the Caddillac pump to do the same job.

Haven't had a problem on mine once it's straightened out and I can run some big boost I'll get a better idea.

trading t/a said:
I used a 15/16" freeze plug and blocked off the pcv totally.

A good PCV system, helps min the build up of sulfuric acid fumes (amongst a few other not too good items) in the crankcase, and doesn't cost any HP, if properly done. The amount of slug between a non, and active PCV engine can be rather startling.

HTH

I would definately agree with you on pcv design and when working properly it does it's job. If you were to somehow measure those gasses you're speaking of that are bypassing through the pushrod holes and into the valve covers escaping through breathers on each vc, I'll bet they are similar in quantity/pressure.

Now if we had a completely blocked off lifter valley and they only space for those gasses to escape was the clearance between each lifter and their bores as well as a distributor hole than yeah I'd be worried. Since we have some big holes in our lifter valley and the pushrod clearance is fairly large you have a ventilation system only its not going back into the engine just to atmosphere.

Just my .02

Mark,

What are you using for intake manifold gasket???

Years ago I knew someone that had the same issue, someone installed the 2-piece felpro gaskets without using the valley pan portion.

There were no bugs for miles :D

Just checking ;)

Its probably not that simple? :)

Joe Lubrant said:
Mark,

What are you using for intake manifold gasket???

Years ago I knew someone that had the same issue, someone installed the 2-piece felpro gaskets without using the valley pan portion.

There were no bugs for miles :D

Just checking ;)

Its probably not that simple? :)

Well, I'm not really sure, but if you can remember back in the winter of 01, I had you set me up with everything at pte :)

I just pulled the invoice and all I can glean from it is "manifold gasket set"...part# MS96033

I never looked at the parts when it was shipped...just dropped everything off to the engine builder. The numbers mean anything to you?

Maltman said:
Well, I'm not really sure, but if you can remember back in the winter of 01, I had you set me up with everything at pte :)

I just pulled the invoice and all I can glean from it is "manifold gasket set"...part# MS96033

I never looked at the parts when it was shipped...just dropped everything off to the engine builder. The numbers mean anything to you?

"but if you can remember back in the winter of 01, I had you set me up with everything at pte :)"

:( Heck Mark, I wish I could remember what the H_LL I did yesterday!

Anyway Part# you listed sounds right.

In any event just because #'s appear on invoice doesn't rule out possible error in parts received :confused:

I would get one of those do-hickey things with a light...and look in there and see if there really is a valley pan :eek:

No harm in checking.

Joe

Well, it is really difficult to see with the light, but I can see "something" and when I drop a small screwdriver down the hole it hits something immediately.

Not positive, but it sounds like I got the right one.

....but I was thinking, would it help to have larger or simply additional breathers on the valve covers.....or even a breather for the dipstick tube?

The GN1 valve covers don't give much for a breather hole and limits the size we can use....so I was thinking I could get it tap for another hole and add the same breather on both sides.

If I did this, then it would seem that it would be easier for the engine to vent the excess pressure and maybe reduce the oil vapors....I don't know....but I'm getting tired of cleaning the K&N filters all the time and sucking oil into the pcv :mad:

Have you done a compression and leak down test. Somethings gotta be up with this. If you are pressurizing the crankcase that much there is definately something going on. From what you describe anything short of a vaccum pump or running 3/8 vaccum line to a closed catch can with a check valve in the middle you're probably gonna have the problem.

I did a comp test last week and all 6 cylinders came back the same at 125....or right near that...can't quite remember.

I'm waiting for an egr blockoff plate from mark and then I plan on backing off the lifters and doing the leakdown asap. I'll post any remarkable findings.

I'm really tempted to run a vac pump just to take care of things once and for all...but I'm trying to rule out every possible option before that....so far no luck :(

Was there any resolution to this problem? I put in a catch can and while it reduces smoke, it has not eliminated it. I too get maybe 10hrs before I need to drain the can. I have copper oringed HG's and total seal rings. No crankcase pressure so I doubt anything is leaking internally to churn up vapor.

I'm disgusted at this thing. All the time and money and its no better than a piece of crap with 200k on it. Its embarressing sitting at a light with smoke coming out of the pipes.

I have a catchcan on my current GN,motor is fresh bout 13,000 miles ago. I did not build it,it has a HV pump and .002 clearences. I drove 487 miles 2 weekends ago. I emptyied the can before I left. When I got home It had 1 inch of oil. With the HV pump and looser than stock spec I bet it has more windage than a stock and this only makes the problem worse. But no smoke.

There was a post on here about using the cadiallac pump to help out in the vaccum brake department. Why not reverse the polarity? It should pull, how much not sure, but with tight clearances it shouldn't need much to cure it....

Just have to find a way of pulling the pressure without the oil....

If you drive the car normally without getting into any boost at all...NOT EVEN 1lb does the car still dump the oil in the catch can and smoke out of the tail pipe while sitting at a light?