Still shifter problems???

Mack V

I am still having problems with my shifter going from park to drive or vise versa without pressing the shifter button. I have changed springs and adjusting the shifter plastic part in the handle with no luck. My buddies gn does the same thing. I am afraid I will go to reverse while it is moving forward. I might be missing something at the shifter. Anyone care to look at any photos of the shifter taken apart. Please e-mail me at boostn@adelphia.net so I can get your e-mail and I will send a pic. Thanks for helping.

Michael

There should be a flat piece of steel that sits perpendicular on the shifter "ratchet plate" and is connected to the center rod of the shifter tube. The ratchet plate looks like a curved plate about 1/8" thick and is a portion of what would be about a 6" arc if it weren't cut off and mounted to the shifter plate. The perpendicular piece moves up and down when you press or release the button and follows the ratchet pattern. If the ratchet plate is in good shape, it should have vertical areas that stop the perpendicular piece from moving forward or backward at certain points unless the button is pressed, thereby lifting it above the plate and allowing it to move in either direction. The perpendicular piece is what you may be missing, possibly broken off.

Thank you. Is there any way you can take a pic. or I can send you a pic. of my shifter taken apart? I am going back outside to take a closer look.

Sure, email it to me at the email address in my signature. Take the picture while sitting in the passenger seat so I can see the mechanism from the side where the mechanical stuff happens.

Mack.
From the pictures you sent me it seems that you are missing something. Did you take any other metal pieces off?

You see where the short end "J" rod sticks up and through the metal? Well that is supposed to be riding along a metal track that looks like it is stepped. This track bolts onto the drivers side of the shifter. The piece has a slight arc to it.

This track prevents the shifter from moving without pressing the button. Yours is totally gone. :eek:

Maybe time for a trip to the bone-yard if you don't have that piece.

It is not there. I thought something was missing. :eek: I looked high and low for for a part laying around. I even looked under the rear seat as you know how hard these buicks can launch. :D