stock exhaust GN vs GNX

MBKBJB

Hello,

What was the difference between the stock GN mufflers and GNX mufflers?

Thanks.

The GN exhaust system use one muffler and two pipes that cross into the one muffler (beyond the rear axle housing) and out as two tail pipes. The GNX exhaust system uses two mufflers prior to the rear axle housing. It exits over the housing as two tail pipes. It must also accomodate the GNX ladder bar assembly package. I suspect that the pipe diameter from the y-pipe to the muffler(s) on boh systems are the same

Here is a question for everyone. Since everyone says the exhaust drone we all live with is due having 2 mufflers instead of the stock style behind the axle. Did the GNX drone in stock form? If the answer is no, where do I get those mufflers from?

I don't know what the droning sound is like that everyone talks about. It was explained in a previous post. My exhaust does not drone. I did not change the pipe diameter for my exhaust system. I had a muffler shop install 2 mufflers prior to the rear axle, had the tail pipes taken over the axle and exit at the stock location. It may be due to the fact the muffler shop did not use a mandrel bend. Maybe an exhaust professional will chime in.

Exhaust Drone

I think the exhaust drone you are referring to is coming from the new style straight through turbo mufflers that also improve performance of the engine over the stock type mufflers which are quieter but also restrict the exhaust a little more. My stock exhaust was very quiet and when I installed the Hooker exhaust the sound was alot louder, but now I have gotten to where I like it. The more the mufflers break in the throatier the sound gets.

Originally posted by BJM
Did the GNX drone in stock form?

Yes. Right around 55mph, whatever RPM that is, will drive you insane if you let it.

On my car the drone is basically a resonance with the engine at 2000 RPM. There is a standing wave in the exhaust between the turbo and the mufflers. When the turbo spools to any degree the sound is gone. The stock muffler put the two pipes into opposite sides of the muffler and got a lot of canceling.

Changing pipe size will alter it to some degree but the problem frequency is based on pipe length to the muffler alone. Its basically wave speed within the exhaust gas.

Some guys put a muffler on instead of a catalytic converter. I also notice that fresh after starting and with the engine in open loop the richer mixture makes the drone a little louder.

It just struck me that the GNX should have the same problem all we duel mufflers types have.