stock header welding/metal type

blown okie

Chuck Norris Approved
gonna have the tubes welded on the outside of the flange on my stock headers for some extra durability insurance before i have them jet-hot coated .. was wondering what metal the headers are actually made of.. i think i've heard it mentioned they're made out of a low grade stainless.. is this true? or are they just a mild steel? any input is appreciated!

Make sure you have them TIG welded and that the guy knows what he's doing.

Bruce '87 Grand National

gonna have the tubes welded on the outside of the flange on my stock headers for some extra durability insurance before i have them jet-hot coated .. was wondering what metal the headers are actually made of.. i think i've heard it mentioned they're made out of a low grade stainless.. is this true? or are they just a mild steel? any input is appreciated!

make sure they bolt it to a cylinder head when welding or it could warp. also put a triangular bridge between 3 and 5 cylinders that will keep it from cracking again

already have a spare head to take with them and the welder knows what he's doing he is truly a wizard with a welder if you knew some of the stuff he's salvaged and fabbed up for me in the past including fixing my cracked ds header about 6 years ago and still holding..i may metion something to him about gusseting those tubes too

Sounds like you've got the right guy to do it. You are lucky. The gusset and head idea is a priority also. Glad the other guy mentioned it, I forgot. Let us know how you did. With your friend, it should come out top notch.

Bruce '87 Grand National

We use silicon bronze rod/tig for outside support. Welds at lower temp, and is a bit "flexible".....