Straight Pipes

fc227

1986 Grand National
Hi Everyone,

Well my Hooker Glass packs final wore out. So be the cheap guy I am. I bough a couple straight pipes & a couple donated stainless steel Tail pipes. I made the setup. It's a little louder than I thought we’d see how long it takes for me to get stopped with these.

I also found an ever so small fuel leak around where the steel line from the Tank get bolted to the frame (buy the rubber hoses).
It gets damp after about 10 minutes of running. So I have to fix that and still have some tweaking of the pipe to make sure they don't hit the Slicks when bolted on.

Fixed the fuel leak . A tiny pin hole rust hole in the feed pipe to the front of the engine.

Hello everyone,

I finally took the car out today; it is too loud. I will have to put Mufflers on it. Unless I take it off the road. I really do not want to do that yet.

The Hooker Glass packs where good, but heavy 10#'s a piece. I might try a set of Moroso Mufflers. There suppose to flow better than glass packs.

There is a god Awful drone at 25 MPH. I should have remember this, from the time I had to drive the car back from the track after a back fire spilt the exhaust system in half.

I thought about no mufflers for a while, but when I unbolted the downpipe from the converter, I thought it was too loud also. Not incredibly loud, but just enough to be obnoxious. Certainly loose the stealth of a plain ol' Regal (or Cutlass).

pipes

I have had no mufflers since 1988, I have duel 3" torque tech exhaust without mufflers and i love the very deep sound, and it is not loud! Most people can't believe I dont have mufflers. I even won a Buick event at silverdollar raceway in a class that required mufflers and nobody knew I didn't have them!

This engine is differently loud. At break time I fire it up for a few fellow employees, and My boss came out because he thought someone had a outboard running, The head of shipping thought there was a engine on the dyno. :)

The engine before this one was quieter. Maybe it is the ported heads. Cam a combo of both

I did end buying a set of Moroso mufflers; I just slipped them over the tail pipes to see if it quieted down and they did. So tonight it’s back under the car for more exhaust work. I know the under side of this car more than I do the back of my hand.

I got the Mufflers on. I have to weld them today. But it makes it more streetable. Still on the loud side, but livable.

hp

How much HP does this loud motor put out? Is it a 10 sec engine? I know my 11 sec one is not loud so either you have a big engine or a v8.

It's about 310 HP. Believe me for some reason; Probably the over sized turbo. It is loud. Now not loud compared to a Top fuel rail, But to loud so you have a god-awful drone @ 2000 RPM.

pipe

It must be my setup that makes my car not loud, I have a TE-60 Turbo with a cartech front mount and stock heads, motor, with 009's and torque tech 3 inch duals out the back in the factory location. car sounds much softer than a mustang with flowmasters.:confused:

Originally posted by fc227
It's about 310 HP. Believe me for some reason; Probably the over sized turbo. It is loud. Now not loud compared to a Top fuel rail, But to loud so you have a god-awful drone @ 2000 RPM.
Fred I think that it's our setup, I'm running the same exhuast as some SFI's and my's louder. It's even louder than my neighbers trunk that has straight pipes.
At a 7 mph role it's got a LOUD drone and at 2000 rpm's.
My wife can hear my car from in the house as I came home if I drive about 20 mph.
Jim

Jim

I think you are right it has to be the setup on the earlier cars.

I spent the whole day under that car today, welding the Moroso mufflers on. And trying to get the tail pipes to clear the slicks. What PIA. I'm basically set now just some more final welding to make sure nothing moves.

28 X10.5 X15 doesn’t leave allot of room back there.

These mufflers are more quite than the glass packs & suppose to flow better, Hopefully next week I will get back up to the track & see. I shaved about 50# off the car so that should help.