Strange electrical problems.

36IndexGN

Strange electrical problems. Car dies when load is put on elect. sys.

For the second time in 3 days my car is showing strange electrical problems. Basically the idle studders, and dies, unless the flashers are turned on, then the cars revs up and idles fine. If I try and turn on the headlights, it will studder and die, I can keep an idle if I feather the gas, but when I try and push further, It just cuts out. When I tap the brakes, the parking lamps come on, even with the switch off. Is this a sign of my alternater dying? or is this a problem with the ECU? Unhooking the battery for a little while doesn't fix things, but the car jumped to life after sitting in my bosses garage during work today.

Guys, this problem hasn't resolved itself. Lemmy try again. I can only get the car to idle, and drive normally with the Emergency flashers on. However they don't blink, just stay on dimly. The clock light flickers. If I turn on the Headlights, the car will idle, but die if I apply any gas peddle. The car also dies if I touch the brake. It has a digital dash, and there is no fuel reading. I will read E instead of the 7 gallons of gas I know it has.

Sounds like something is shorting to ground. Odd. Try unhooking the two brake light switches. They pass through several circuits. Might be able to isolate it here. Also check all fuses on both sides of the fuse with a test light. Do you have any accessories hooked up to underdash wiring either recently added or existing?

hmm-

check all i mean ALLLLLL your grounds-
dash, battery, under the turbo --- the 14mm bolt holding the 7 bracket and turbo up-

there are 2 grounds above your computer under the dash, on the pass side-

tighten the 7? 8? or 1/4 nut holding the main wiring harness to the fuse block there on the drivers side-

if the car still starts up, then id say your alt is putting out BAT +

had any electrical fires under the dash or engine?

Wow! This is a funky one...

I will toss a few ideas out there for you to check... I have no clue what is happening, as the light circuits are independent of the Engine controls... But the first thing to check is the battery condition. How many volts does it read after sitting for a couple of hours? How many does it read while the engine runs? If your not sure of the state of the battery, have it checked at the parts store.

When strange $hit starts to happen, the first thing I check are grounds. Start with the ones at the battery that run to the engine block and the smaller one that runs to the fender.

Check the ground strap that runs from the fire wall to the engine.

Other than that, you need a service manual to locate and check all the ground distribution points.

After these are verified, look at the power distribution points, again starting at the battery. The one that runs to the starter could be melted and shoring out under the down pipe, where it is tough to see.

Others have posted about DEAD circuits... This works, but that doesn't kind of thing. In these cases, the fusable links were melted, but not completely open circuit. At any rate, it may be time to check those... I think they all terminate at the starter post as well.

Other than that, it would be interesting to have a volt reading while the car is running and what you see during the funkey events...

I sure hope this helps... but when you get it sorted out, man will you have a story to tell!

I have never heard of a system problem that only allowed a car to drive around with the hazzard lights on but not flashing!

Originally posted by 6=8
Wow! This is a funky one...

I have never heard of a system problem that only allowed a car to drive around with the hazzard lights on but not flashing!

YEAH........HAPPENED ONCE ON THE TWILITE ZONE. :p

Red Regal, Ironic you mentioned Twilight Zone, it is a Sentinal optioned car.

Somebody mentioned disconecting the Battery to see if it would run on just the alternator. I will try this first since my instinct first made me assume it was the alt on the way out.

>>When I tap the brakes, the parking lamps come on, even with the switch off. <<

You may have more then one problem. (as if one isn't enuff)
I had a similar problem once. It turned out to be a filament in the brake lite had broken and was stuck to the parking filament back feeding the circuit.

Ding Ding, Ladies and Gentlemen, I think Mr. Larkin has it. I pulled out the wire in the Fuse panel I had wire my Power Injection light to last summer. I ran it to the fuse for the Instrument lights, and I think this is what did it. Everything is back in normal operating order, with the exception of my Fuel read out. It likes to slowly climb until reaching F when I know I dont have a full tank. It still flickers a bit. I will replace all the fuses this weekend when I get back home and check for anything else being lose.