Strange scan tool and high idle problem

Jarnutt

Youngin'
Its the strangest thing that I just cant figure out. I have been scratching my head for years over it but it never really became an issue. Everytime I plug in a scan tool, my turbolink, or even the Snap-on scanner at my shop, my idle bumps up like 200-400 RPM as soon as it connects, like the high idle on a big truck. With my turbolink, it was as soon as I hit the connect button, and the Snap-on scanner at my shop, it does it as soon as I click the button to make it communicate. This makes it a PAIN to set things like IAC, or anything else that is idle sensitive. I used the Snap-on scanner on my Typhoon to reset some codes and it worked great, as it should because it cost about $3000. But, for some reason my Buick hates scan tools. I checked all the obvious, like grounds and such, bad connections, am I missing something? Or has someone else at least had this problem.:confused:

When I tried to run the Snap On MODIS or one of the OTC Genisys models, I had to make sure the were in "road test" mode.. Otherwise it would do exactly what you describe!!! Never had T-link, though....Snap-On and MATCO guys said it was something do with the OBDI ecm's we have...:confused: but road test mode was the fix(until I got DS and now the power logger)