street driven car

svtnos

hey im new to the darkside :cool: i was thinking about how fast i want to go. well i decided that i want to be able to drive the car daily. i have another car that is daily driven but i guess i should say streetable. id be happy with a high 10 second car. what step as far as mods should be done? where should i start with the car? it has a 3inch stainless steel catback and a k&n right now. any advice would be great! thanks!

Here is a direct link to performance upgrades and the cost involved. It is very good. Make a budget.... follow this recipe and you will be good to go.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/recipes/Staged1.html

lose the cat.... and replace with a straightpipe ;) free HP.

BTW- The stock turbo/intercooler/downpipe should get you into the 12's with ease with sticky tires (hint). Get some sticky tires out back. 275/50/15 Nitto Drag Radials fit on a stock GN or TType rim and work great for everyday driving rain/shine. This tire will get you into the 11's if needed. Slicks obviously are better... but stretch your dollar and invest in other parts first.

Put in AC Delco CR43TS spark plugs, pull off the intercooler and clean it with 1-2 cans of brake cleaner until no more black oil buildup comes out (oil mist lowers the fuel octane rating) and then flush with water. Use pressurized air to dry and let sit in sun to make sure it is dry inside before reinstall. (the intercooler cleaning isn't necessary.... but it is nice to know that you are running a more free flowing intercooler also. Get a boost guage also and an EGT guage which helps with tuning.

Here is where I got my guages and I like them. You can get AutoMeter/VDO also..... but why spend more?

http://www.westach.com/

they make aircraft guages and they are accurate

GNX7

The gnttype recipe page is a pretty good example of what it takes to run high 10's, but I think you'd be better off talking to somebody that runs high 10's like Woody (aka azgn on this forum) cause his full weight (3700lbs+ w/driver) GN has run 10.93 @123mph with about 24lbs of boost which is a safe boost level (at around 30lbs of boost keeping the headgaskets on can become a problem). IMO it's a LOT easier to run mid 11's and still be streetable and more importantly you will still have a car that is reliable cause it's been proven that after mid 11's these cars can start to break parts and become more of a weekend car instead of a reliable daily driver. Just my .02:)
HTH:cool:

Later, Steve

I think sometimes we take some things for granted. For instance svtnos says "I want to go high tens and stay streetable"
If he went to LS1.com and said "Iwant to make my daily driven WS6 a 10.9 car and streetable" he would get laughed off the board:eek: I just wanted to take this opportunity and point out how sweet TR's are:D

Anyways as I have seen posted many times, getting to the 10's can be done fairly easy and cheaply (few grand) but staying there is what gets expensive!

An 11.5 car wil be a lot less headaches then a 10.8 car.

thanks for all the info people! i really appreciate it! im real excited about this car... i love it! ive had real good experiences with nitto drags on my stang so id love to get some on the GN. im not looking to run 11s right away, im still hyped cause i have a car of my dreams in my driveway :cool: ill definately take all your advice out there you guys give to me... im trying to learn this car as best i can... thanks again!

what do you all think i should get as my first mods? my friend who sold me the car said to get an adjustable fuel regulator. what brands to you all recommend?

WOW I am Getting GN GIDDY!!!

Guess not to much is needed to get these v-6 puppies to run decent times.. Since I am a 3 week newbie I am getting excited to do the step 1 mods.
I am lucky here in NH we have 94 octane & no emisson testing so I could loose the cat.
A short ride to Mass or CT will allow me to visit 2 GN shops that could help me with some mods.
I don't want to veer to far from stock. Looks like I could catch my buddy's 13.4 79 TA with little work.

Guess I will have to trek up to New England dragway to base line it..

86GN 19k orig

my friend who sold me the car said to get an adjustable fuel regulator. what brands to you all recommend?

I like the Accufab. Mine has always been reliable and easily adjustable. No problems, but they are expensive.

When you get the regulator dont mess with the FP until you get a really good handle on how to tune the car. Too much or too little FP will screw things all up

Originally posted by littlesixsteve
WOW I am Getting GN GIDDY!!!

A short ride to Mass or CT will allow me to visit 2 GN shops that could help me with some mods.
I don't want to veer to far from stock. Looks like I could catch my buddy's 13.4 79 TA with little work.

Guess I will have to trek up to New England dragway to base line it..

86GN 19k orig

It wont take much if you do the right things.

Originally posted by blackbuick87
When you get the regulator dont mess with the FP until you get a really good handle on how to tune the car. Too much or too little FP will screw things all up

i agree... i personally dont know much about these cars to try and tune it. my friend does know how to tune these cars. i was wondering if an adjustable fuel regulator should be bought first and what brands :D thanks for the info!

Originally posted by TRBON8R

I like the Accufab. Mine has always been reliable and easily adjustable. No problems, but they are expensive.

how much do they go for? i like accufabs products, i have their 70mm throttle body on my stang :cool: what other brands are good?

my friend was talking to me about getting a kenne bell fuel pressure regulator. anyone have feedback on this brand? where can i order one from when im ready for it?

My advise is to read anything and everything you can about Turbo Buicks. That should be your first step before you start throwing parts at it. Hell, when I got my GN a few years back, I didnt even know how to work the Scanmaster!!

Heres the things that are IMO a must:

Fuel pump
Hotwire
Adjustable regulator
Computer chip
K&N
Scantool

From there you can start tuning your car in without the worry of breaking something right off the bat. Look at it as insurance. Once youve got the car tuning stuff down, throw another mod or 2 at it and tune it in. Then add another few mods, and tune that in. Etc, etc, etc. Before you know it, this Turbo Buick tuning stuff will be cake. Enjoy your new car, they are a LOT of fun most of the time...........right everyone? ;)

IMO the KB regulator is the best one out there but I am sure others would disagree.

Newbie - SVTNOS

One item on the gnttype org tech area that concerns me is their direction to CRUSH STOCK FP regulator in a vice AHHHGGGGG.
Crushing 1/16" = 4 psi ???? TOO risky ... were talkin FUEL here.

IMO anything relating to F U E L has to be real well done. I vote you get a proper adjustable FP regulator (Kenne-Bell would be my choice).

DARTH is calling c. u.

Thats crazy! I never seen that in there but if it is then they should delete it.