Stupid blinker question

T-top87GN

The Buick Manual CD Guy
Hazard flashers work. Blinkers do not. All of the bulbs are good and illuminate as they should with the hazards on. I have replaced the flasher as well.

If you hold the flasher in your hand and hit the turn signal you can feel one click from the flasher and then nothing else happens. I should also note that if you are holding down the brakes and do this the one click will turn off the lights on the side that should be blinking.

Is my switch bad?

Brakes applied the hazards wont flash.

Make sure and put the parking lights on and then the hazards and check for blown bulbs taht away you illuminate both filaments.... Sounds like a bulb.

Turbo Nasty, thanks for the reply. I guess I should have been more specific. When you illuminate the brake lights by pushing on the pedal, moving the turn signal stock to a turn position will make the tail light on that side turn off.

Novaderrik, would the hazards still function properly if there was a problem with a bulb or a ground? I would have thought properly functioning hazards would be an indication that the wiring/bulbs are good.

Please forgive my lack of memory, but I'm pretty sure that there are actually two different flashers on this car, one for turn signals and on for the hazards. That may be why your hazards work, but your turn signals do not. I seem to remember being surprised when I learned this. Hopefully I'm not confusing this with one of my other cars.

Try replacing the flasher that you felt with your hand and see if that fixes the problem. I bought a HD flasher so my turn signals would flash at a normal speed (not the ultra slow speed that is typical for these cars).

Mike
Sent from my HTC Droid Incredible using Turbo Buick

This was bugging me, so I checked the GM service manual. There are two different flashers - one for the turn signals, and one for the hazards. See the wiring diagram below. I would bet that if you replace the turn signal flasher, all will be well.

I remember I had the opposite problem many years ago - my turn signals worked, but my hazards did not. I found out there were two different flashers. Replaced the hazard flasher, and all was well.

Good Luck,

Flasher_Dia.jpg

Have you tried what Turbonasty suggested? Turn on parking lights and visually check that all bulbs are lit, then turn on hazards. Many of the bulbs are multi segment.

Sent from my iPad using Turbo Buick

Thanks for the tips guys! I did replace the flasher that runs the turn signals and things were good for a drive or two.

And then it stopped working again on the way back from lunch yesterday. So, when I parked it at work I checked the signal one more time to see if it would work. And then nothing... So I reached under the dash to check the flasher again and actually hold it in my hand again to see if I could feel the flasher click once like it did before. While I was fumbling around under the dash I got ahold of the flasher and pull it down. Just about then the blinker started working again.

So, I have a short somewhere in the wires that run to the flasher. Now I need to track it down. Thank again for your help and input!