Stuttering& shudderin rearend

cutluse231

I had a friend recently install a G-80 posi carrier in my GN rear end that wasn't a posi.

I've driven it a week and it sounds like a shudder or dull popping feel when I move from a stop into a turn, right or left.

He told me that the "additve" needed to soak in before it would quiet down.

Yesterday I went on a 6 hr round trip and at one point after reaching my destination it didn't do it it at all , all of it was in town driving.

But after sitting for a couple of hours and driving home it was doing it again.

Any ideas?

the carrier it self had only 31k on it and appeared to have new clutches .

It will a good solid posi patch in the straight line but I don't feel comfortable driving it.

Short of taking it to a shop wanted to know if any one else has experinced this and what did it take to fix it?

Thanks

FWIW & IMHO:
I don't have any good news, but I have what might be construed as bad news. I had the same thing happen to my rear end, except my car originally had a posi, but started shuddering out of the blue. He drained the old fluid, put in the reconditioner, told me that we were going to do a test drive in figure eights at a parking lot a couple of blocks away. We went there, he drove in a few figure 8's, and the noise had already gone away. The fact thatyours has not gone away, I would have your friend reconsider the advice he is giving you, or I would go to a rear end shop and have it checked out. My guess would be that, and it is only a guess, the rear end might have sat around without any movement too long to be usable without rebuilding. Basically, mine cleared up immediately after cleaning and reconditioning, and the fact that yours did not would be a cause for concern for me.

Replace the fluid and additive.I have seen these rears need 2 bottles of additive in the past.Our posi's where known for making noise from the factory and many where changed needlessly.Use a good quality fluid and GM additive.HTH

Ditto to what Mayo says

Try adding another bottle of additive, or in the alternative, get some real posi lube & add the additive. The popping won't really hurt anything, but it is annoying. :cool: