Suddenly shifting late after driving.

HouTX87

After about a 30 minute drive earlier today I get off the highway and noticed the trans does not want to upshift without giving it almost full throttle and letting off. The trans is original and untouched with 46k miles '87 GN. Fluid is clean and full. Recently serviced with Dexron VI. I followed the steps to adjust the TV cable to factory specs and got 2 clicks with the gas pedal. Before the adjustment I counted 5 grooves on the cable housing, now I'm at about 6. I let it cool down for an hour, drove it again and is still shifting late and now I'm noticing it downshifting early at low speeds. Should I loosen the TV adjustment a few more clicks? For this to suddenly happen makes me worried that there could be an internal transmission issue.

Just unplugged the TCC connector of the side of the trans and drove it again about 5 miles. TCC connector made no change. At part throttle in D the 1-2 shift was at 4000 rpm. Then at WOT it redlined in 2nd gear and did not shift into 3rd until I let off the throttle. What should I check? Could this be a governor problem? The TV adjustment still be too tight? Is it really even possible to adjust the TV too tight considering it self adjusts at WOT?

exact same thing happened to me.
pull the pan and look for the spring in the tranny fluid.

Thanks guys. Should I expect the spring to be broken or can I put it back on? I also spoke to someone else who told me that the plastic gear on the governor could be broken.

Sure enough... Pulled the pan off today and a tiny spring was laying in the pan. Put it back in the governor and shifting is restored. I think my tv cable needs some adjustment but I'm sure glad that all I found in the pan was a spring rather than metal and clutch material. Thanks very much guys.

If the governor spring fell out once, it'll probably fall out again. There is a way to pin in the spring (governor spring mod) maybe someone can chime in and tell you how it's done. Glad it was an easy fix for you.

Jim

Thanks, I'll do a search for that. I wish I hadn't messed with the TV cable because I still can't get it to shift quite right.

Finally fixed today. I had put the spring on the wrong side of the governor. Found out the spring goes on the smaller weight. Reset the tv cable and good as new. Until it throws the spring again :eek:

Sure enough... Pulled the pan off today and a tiny spring was laying in the pan. Put it back in the governor and shifting is restored. I think my tv cable needs some adjustment but I'm sure glad that all I found in the pan was a spring rather than metal and clutch material. Thanks very much guys.

Hello,
I am having the same / a similar issue with my transmission. My car is a 86 GN with a orange strip, 3000 stall converter. My tranny was working perfect and took it out this weekend and found that it is shifting from out of 1gear extremely late. From a stand still, The car will upshift out of 1st (into 2nd) @3200-3500 rpm (normal acceleration) and @4500-4600 rpm when I driving it hard. Previously, The car used to shift out of 1st around 2800 to 3000rpm. As of now, 2nd thru 4th gears upshift and downshift perfectly, the problem is only with 1st. If i am in 1st and lift off the gas, it will shift once i reach 4500rpm. If I get on it from a stand still, it sounds as though it is really straining pass 3500rpm in 1st and once it gets to 4600 (where it wants to shift into 2nd). Once the rpm gets past 4000, it starts to stain really bad and power starts to fall off waiting for the shift point.

Something else weird that happens, is in 1st at low rpm (around 1100rpm) if I get off the gas and get back it the initially doesn't what to respond until 1500rpk is reached. Does this sound like a governor issue?

Your symptoms sound a little different than mine. I would have to pop the gas pedal to get mine to upshift in all gears. I ended up pulling the pan off mine initially just because I didn't have another car for a few days and I wanted to make sure there wasn't any metal or clutch material in the pan. I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing more damage by driving it, and then I found the little spring laying in the pan. I'd say drop your pan and see what you find. If you find the governor spring make sure you put it back on the small side of the governor.

I see now. So if the spring in the governor came out, it would affect all gears not just one, correct? Well, I guess that is some bad news for me that brings me right back to not having a clue of what is going on. Does the tv cable affect all gears as well.

I have video with me running the car in 1st, but I can't upload to this forum to get some input.

Well after 3 months my governor spring came out again on Sunday while making a nice kill on an Acura NSX! Since I was working my dad went ahead and took it out to Mike Kurtz at Century trans early Monday morning and he said he used some kind of adhesive to help keep it from coming out again. Also checked my TV cable adjustment. Very nice guy.