Suspension Rookie help

thbjcb

I am a rookie when it comes to understanding suspension stuff. How do you know when your shocks are bad? any quick test for this? I know my springs are bad since the car goes down 1" after a 100 lbs is added to the trunk . Shocks and springs are 15 YEARS old. Rock Auto has few listed for a decent price. Can someone summarize what the average person will see with different springs installed on a stock setup 16" rims with 245 all around. What is the stock height for front and back? since I am on a BUDGET I will likely go with the KYB's for shocks. Not concrened about handling just looking for setup for 1-2 times racing a year and a smoother daily ride.

HUSKY SPRING Part # RC5379
SPICER/RAYBESTOS Part # 5911013
MOOG Part # 5379
HUSKY SPRING Part # RV627
MOOG Part # CC627
HUSKY SPRING Part # RC5606

It's probably time for new shocks and springs. Stock ride height in the front is around 27.5" and rear 27.75" . With new shocks and springs the ride should be more stiff with less sway and not so much of a boat like feeling.
The KYB's are a good choice I've had them for about 7-8 years now.
The moog 5606 and the 5379 will give you the stock ride height.

Here's a quick test I use for the shocks:

Bounce each corner of the car up and down a couple of times. When you stop pushing on the car it should stop bouncing in less than one bounce. If it keeps bouncing the shocks are bad.

Stock height is about 27.5" at the center of the wheel wells but that is affected by a lot of things. Your tires alone will reduce this 1/4" since they are 25.5" instead of the stock 26". 1" drop with 100# is not too bad.

Bottom line is older cars need maintenance and shocks and springs are maintenance items.:wink:

Thanks for info, exactlly the info I was looking for. Some time down the road I may switch to 17" or 18" rims with a 28" tire in the back. Can't decide if I like the drag car look with 15" or the street car look. I hate spending $$ on items that don't make it go faster!!!