Swaybar Problem

miz

What may have caused my front swaybar bushing clamshell to break on passenger side? I have spohn performance suspension on my car, but there bar uses stock clamshell. It broke on a 3 hr road trip and it makes car 3/4 inch lower on driver side.

Probably metal fatigue, like bending a piece of metal back and forth, it will eventually break.

Tightening the end links Too Much can cause fatigue on the front bushing mounts. I have a good friend and customer who tightened his end links too much and his front bushing cracked! We loosened them up, replaced the broken front bushing shell and it has been fine for 4 years now..

I'm sure other things can also cause this but it's something to look into.

The chasis dropped 3/4" when the bracket broke? Somethings really wrong if that's the case and you most likely have some spring issues or chasis set up screwed up.

I need some help on what to do next or look for. Everything under my car has less than 1500 miles on it..My car has full spohn suspension front and back,baer brakes drop spindles,moog springs,QA1 shocks.I unhooked the sway bar and still uneven by about 3/4. I looked in lower control arm and springs are almost touching spring stop. Never had an issue before took long road trip. I guess I will take front end apart tomorrow. Gotten car aligned a number of different times also. If I stick my fingers between tires and fender on the drivers side I can fit 2, passenger fits 3.thanks

look at the springs. Check the spring pockets, any kind of spacers you had in there etc.

Get the front end up off the ground and check everything over. If one side dropped 3/4" when the sway bar mount broke it was being held up by the bar. There's got to be a spring issue going on.

I took the front end apart today.Iswaped sides with the coils to see if that would change anything. When I put it back down it was still off on drivers side. How do you tell if the coils are bad? When installing I really have to compress coil to get in. Can I over tighten them?

Did you check the spring pockets and a-arms, was there a spacer or a rubber/urethane cup for the spring to sit in on either side?

Short of a bent frame the entire suspension height is only held up by the spring and connecting components, has to be something right there if its not the spring

Springs can't be "overtightened" but it sounds like you've got some other issues here. One other member was having a traction issue and when he posted a pic of the car on a lift I spotted some issues that turned out to be a bent frame.:(

I really suggest you take a bunch of pictures from different angles of the side thats giving you an issue, see if we can't spot something

I really suggest you take a bunch of pictures from different angles of the side thats giving you an issue, see if we can't spot something
Have to agree here. Pics may help one of us figure out what's going on with the car.:)

Here are some pics of the drivers side.This is the sides that low.

Attachments

• 243.JPG
    243.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 65
  • 242a.jpg
    242a.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 72
  • 244.JPG
    244.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 244.JPG
    244.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 242.JPG
    242.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 72
Here is pics of passenger side

Attachments

• 245.JPG
    245.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 251.JPG
    251.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • 252.JPG
    252.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 253.JPG
    253.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 63
I decided going to try and put new coils in the front. I have a couple questions on spring choices. Since I have drop spindles to I have to run stock coil? I am looking for the coil that gives the most handles.thanks

To be honest with you throw the dropped spindles on evilbay and either get some stock ones or a set off a 98-02(?) 4 door 2wd blazer. Then get the right parts to helo it handle better. Dropped spindles bring out other issues in the steering that causes issues with bump steer ect.