T-Link v Direct Scan

GHawz13

I have read over the boards about both and gone to the T-Link website, but still am not sure what is the best tuning tool. I have a scanmaster right now, but would like to save the information that is being recorded. I se T-link is always being upgraded, how often is data in the DS being updated w/ new products. I have heard of people having problems with the car running when they hook the DS in if they mess the wiring up. I have a T+ and extender chip also and not sure if they effect this at all either.

Thanks
Greg

i have direct scan and it is awsome.as far as the connections, well it took me a while to get it right only because i didnt prep the ecm enough the first time. never had a problem with the car not running right because of that though.i dont know much about turbolink but from what ive heard ds is a lot faster.:D

Not 100% sure but I believe that direct scan updates roughly 18 times per second.

there hasn't been an update for DS in a long, long time. It may still be quite awhile before it gets upgraded, if ever. I do like it as is now, but if it had an option for boost sensing or EGT input that would rock.

TL has way better customer service and is being updated, but I still prefer the amount of data you get from DS vs TL. 18 frams/second with DS vs 1.5 up to 3 or so (with high speed patch) per second with TL.

If your buying it to record your runs then Direct Scan hands down. TL only provices 8 or 9 frames of Data in a typical 1/4 run w/o chip mods. Direct Scan will provide 100 plus frames of data.

If You're new to TR's, I'd recommend the TL. If however you want to have tons of data per run and you have some experience with TR's, then DS wins no contest. TL is an excellent product that does as you mentioned get updated regularily. DS does get updated, but not as often as TL. I have used both and prefer DS due to it's data aquisition rate over TL's ALDL sourcing. Installation problems with TL = zero as far as I know...DS, requires you to do a very simple, yet time consuming mod to the ECM. If you don't wanna do it, there's lots of TR specialty outlets that will do it for you, for $$$. The only other installation snag with DS is that you may get weird false coding until the cable between the ECM & box is shielded and grounded, again, not a biggie at all. Follow the instructions accurately and it will work for you as well as it has for us!
HTH
Jim