T-Top car, Yes or No guys?

fast times

Looking at a clean 87 gn with t-tops, my plan is to go low 11s are the t-tops a problem? whos got a fast t-top car? what mods did you make? (no cage of course) Thanks

T Top NO !!!!!!!!

Rattle, leak, wind noise, leaks, body/frame strength compromised compared to solid roof car, chassis twist/flex, expense of seal replacement, more prone to rust.

I would steer clear of all T Top turbo regals.

It will be a hassle.

With the ET goal u quoted I would start with a stronger solid roof car foundation.

A pristine 10k T Top GN that get 50 miles a year put on it then I can see. But not a car that gets a poundin' on the street or strip.

Good luck !

Check this thread from the Turbo Lounge. Everyone seems to have their own opinion on this.

My personal one is that you should buy what you like. If the enjoyment you'll get from being able to take the tops off is worth the possiblity that your car might not be as stiff or have some addiitional chassis flex then go with the tops. If not, find a hartop. (I'm sure the astroroof fits in there somewhere.) The pilliars in the hardtops crack too but I'm sure it happens easier in a car with Ts. If you do get a T-Top car make sure you add the extra bracing in the rear seat and front. There are several T-Top cars that run 10 and under 1/4 miles, so I don't think it's as big of an issue as people make it. You just have to be a little more aware of what is going on with your car and make sure that you take the steps to protect it.

-Jade

From the looks of the replies in the lounge thread, don't buy a t-top car unless you plan on taking the tops off when cruising. If you are planning to leave them on, just get a hard top car or an astroroof. I personally like T-tops and would buy a GN with them, but wouldn't mind the extra hassle. Other people are different and dont want the hassle.

I'm a T-Top Yes Man :D I've yet to see a T-Top car with B-pillar cracks... though I've seen many a hardtop with them.

James

noooooo, i had a 79 trans am with t tops and it was like a friggin nightmare. rattled , leaked, then i got them fixed from a reputable guy ( cost me about a grand). they were great for 3 months and then they started leaking and rattling again. now that trans am i had was pretty quick for its time but had no where near the power of these buicks. i ewould try to stay away from that. yea, its nice with the tops off, but i think that would get old quyick for me. good luck:D

T-Top cars

I say brace it and race it. I've owned five Turbo regals and four of the five were T-Top cars. But both of my current cars have a lot to offer and one is NHRA certified to 7:50 .

Steve:D

Mine is a T Top in which i am in the process of restore/building.. When I did drive it I LOVED THE OPEN ROOF! You can't beat the feeling.. The frame was reinforced for twisting should it every get to that point. I am hoping to break the 10.99 et's with the new combo but Will let you know in a month or so... I think however, if I was looking for a 1/4 bruiser only, I would probably prefer the solid roof.

Re: T-Top cars

Originally posted by XXQUICK6XX
I say brace it and race it. I've owned five Turbo regals and four of the five were T-Top cars. But both of my current cars have a lot to offer and one is NHRA certified to 7:50 .

Steve:D

AMEN! ;)

if youre going 11's...

at the low 11 sec level, you might consider a putting a rollbar in the car.... which would make the t-top/pillar crack issue a moot point, IMO:)

also how are the roads where you live? bad roads can loosen up t-tops in a hurry too..... in nyc the roads are TERRIBLE bumps everywhere, itll loosen everything up on a car that sees a lot of street duty....

If a T-top car is a leaky, rattly rolling box it is trying to tell you something.
Most of the complaints about t-tops are caused by lack of over all TLC to the car & chassis.
Use the braces, get new body mounts, new seals (they're old) and adjust them right and it will be almost as quiet as a hard top car. I say almost because they will have a little more wind noise simply because of the additional metal trim (wind moves over it, creates noise).
One thing the T-tops are better at is OPEN top cruising...it really is great...

If you're running fast enough to worry about the structural difference between the cars, you should probably have a roll bar (at the least) then, there is NO difference between the 2....other than that open top thing....

OK this has been asked again and again and again.

Everyone will complain about T_tops because they don't take care of them and they have problems.

If you are planning on 11's then you are gonna need a roll-bar anyways and that alone will make your car stronger than a solid roof GN.

If you use the rear seat braces and the braces that go under the front of the car, you won't have any problems. You need ot make sure the T-top drains stay clear and that you put some silicone on the T-top weatherstripping every now and then.

I have a T-top car. It was wrecked a couple weeks ago. I purchased another T-top car to transfer my drive line into. T-tops are great!

Just be sure the one you are buying has little or no rust in the T-top area.

As for you hard headed T-top hating people: I say good!! Hate them all you want! That leaves more T-top stuff for me! :D