T-top storage question

cchilly

I just bought my car before winter and now with the nice weather I'm starting to play around with my new toy.

I was wondering how you store the t-tops in the trunk. I have the bags, but don't they usually get strapped down? I remember my buddies Iroc had straps that would hold the tops down when in the trunk. I guess I'm looking for something like that, but haven't seen anything. :confused:

Thanks
Chris

I have t-tops too and there are no straps in the trunk. All we get are 2 t-tops bags. When I do take mine off I leave them at home, I just make sure it's not going to rain. Don't want to risk them sliding around in the trunk due to having to swerve around some idiot who is texting while trying to drive.

I use a large heavy blanket in addition to the bags. Put a layer of blanket down and then one t top in the bag and then another layer of the same blanket and then the other t top in the bag and then throw the rest on the top. keeps them stationary in normal driving. I also have an old floor mat stuck down the driver side quarter panel to help prevent outward dents in the case of a sudden maneuver.

Thanks for the replys guys.

I was hoping to find I was missing straps and the problem would have been solved. I think I will try INEEDAGN's suggestion and go with blankets. Those bags they give for the tops don't look like they will do much of anything except hold all the pieces of glass when the top shatters. :eek:

Thanks
Chris

Here's a new product idea: Someone build a hard plastic case to store them in or some type of strap harness to hold them stationary in the trunk:cool:

I had a 86 with t-tops and it also had hold down straps
These cars dont
Your on your on as far as storage
Extra blanket does make sense for padding
Dont want to break one
Steve

Sorry I meant 86 Trans Am
Not to confuse you

I had a 86 with t-tops and it also had hold down straps
These cars dont
Your on your on as far as storage
Extra blanket does make sense for padding
Dont want to break one
Steve

My z28 had them. Then they got all frayed and fell apart. I wonder why they never developed something for the Gbodies. Must be from all them powerful G forces from that mighty tuned port motors;)

My z28 had them. Then they got all frayed and fell apart. I wonder why they never developed something for the Gbodies. Must be from all them powerful G forces from that mighty tuned port motors;)

The straps are so the T-tops don't kill you if you get into an accident. In the G-body they wouldn't make it into the passenger compartment in the event of a collision so GM opted to let them slide around in the trunk.

My dad's SS has neat little slots in the hatch that they lock into.

Jim