T400

rag231

With all the talk about turbo 400's needing overdrive why cant the trans be built with a 2.10 first gear, 1:1 second and a final gear similar to an overdrive trans like a .67 or .70. Still only using "3" gear sets. I feel that if the guru's can make a 3 speed into a 2 speed then a set of gears should be no problem. I say that like it's an easy task. That would solve all of my problems of having a perfect race tranny and overdrive in one unit, without gear vendors , without controllers and not needing a 4l80e. If I have to drop the big bucks for whatever route I take, that option would be nice:

A. buy a very expensive 2 speed tranny , put a gear vendors unit behind it and shorten my driveshaft.
B. get a built 4l80e, control it with my Big Stuff 3 unit, throw darts at the converter to nail down perfection
C. run my current 400 and drop the gears to a 3.08 or lower if I can find them, ( I dont want to run a pro gear)
D. my idea of a t400 with an overdrive gear and a 2.10 first gear.

Yeah, but it does not give me the third gear option. I wonder would it be too much of a rpm drop with the 2.10/1.40 to a .70 and thats why they dont have it as an option.

So, why don't you do the rear gear change? I run a 2.93 in my GS but have a 3.08 and 3.23 I'm wanting to try. The gears are out there. Get with monzaz on the v8buick. I'm sure he can get you what you need.

If your car can make the power than having a numerically high rear gear ratio isn't necessary thus not needing an overdrive. Having a 2.10:1 first with a numerically low rear gear requires a lot of power and having the converter stall spot on.
The good aftermarket T400 gears are about $2100 and would buy them from Coan. I would do this first over a 2 speed trans.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is pretty hard to deny how fast the cars are with the 2 speed 400. I showed my mustang buddy the video from this years Nats and his first question was where are the wheelie bars. I told him that they didn't need them, he freaked out. You wouldn't see a 7 second mustang without them. I don't know if the buicks guys are running the 2.10 or 2.12 or what but it is a very expensive trans. I wanted the overdrive just for the cruise home all in one package. Turbobitt you're saying to keep the 3 speed with upgraded Coan parts and run the 3.08 or similar gears.

It is pretty hard to deny how fast the cars are with the 2 speed 400. I showed my mustang buddy the video from this years Nats and his first question was where are the wheelie bars. I told him that they didn't need them, he freaked out. You wouldn't see a 7 second mustang without them. I don't know if the buicks guys are running the 2.10 or 2.12 or what but it is a very expensive trans. I wanted the overdrive just for the cruise home all in one package. Turbobitt you're saying to keep the 3 speed with upgraded Coan parts and run the 3.08 or similar gears.
I know a lot of the fast guys are running 3.0 or 3.23 with the 2.10:1 on 28" drag radials. The combo works but you really need to make the power and take enough weight out of the car to make it work.
AG.

I know a lot of the fast guys are running 3.0 or 3.23 with the 2.10:1 on 28" drag radials. The combo works but you really need to make the power and take enough weight out of the car to make it work.
AG.

People would think you know a thing or two about th400's :shame: