T76 or T80?

Trbobuick

Boost addict
I was leaning towards a BB t-76 for my street 272 cube motor.

3300 lb, 224 cam , 28 inch tire,

I was going to run an 8 inch 3800 stall with the 76.

BUT...... if the lag on a bb 80 is the same for a non-bb 76 i can deal with it.

What would the pros and cons be?

With that cam I think I'd stay with the T-76.

I've been out once since switching from a T-76 to a Innovative GT 80 r-trim (Jack's old turbo). There's more in the 80 than the 76 but it's looking like it takes rpms to get it.

I made too many changes to give a accurate turbo to turbo comparison, but so far that's what it's looking like.

I have not made enough runs on the 80 bb to give you an honest evaluation of it yet.I ran into alot of other problems not associated to the turbo that has kept me away from the track.I do know from the few runs I have made that the car likes to leave the line at 4000 rpms.I am using a A/C 9in with 3800 stall.Maybe in a few weeks I can tell you a little more.Give Jack Cotton a call he likes the 80 bb turbo and I am sure he can help you out.

REG

Originally posted by Trbobuick
I was leaning towards a BB t-76 for my street 272 cube motor.

3300 lb, 224 cam , 28 inch tire,

I was going to run an 8 inch 3800 stall with the 76.

BUT...... if the lag on a bb 80 is the same for a non-bb 76 i can deal with it.

What would the pros and cons be?

Very close to the combo i have. I have the same cam and i too was going to run a BB T-76. Like posted above call Jack I believe he runs a 80.

Brian,

You'll have to go to Innovative $$$$$$$ for an T-80 turbo. Turbonetics won't do a T-80 for you any more. I ended up with a T-76 BB Q-trim turbo. I went with a .96 tangential turbine housing and a 3.5 outlet.

Dave

I think I payed around $1900 from Cottons with an A/R.81.I later changed to a A/R .96 from innovative at an additional cost of $300. It costs to have fun.

REG

well in Innovatives defence, I think it was $2400 through Cottons.:) . I really wanted to go w/the 88bb, but at like $2700 I couldn't pass up a brand new PT88 for $1500.

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
well in Innovatives defence, I think it was $2400 through Cottons.:) . I really wanted to go w/the 88bb, but at like $2700 I couldn't pass up a brand new PT88 for $1500.

You would think the 88 would be more. :eek:

I try to use 1 vendor when I can. It was a new trade at Cottons, and I didn't have to pay shipping.:)

I have 2 concerns..... spool up time and compressor surge at 15 psi.

i plan on spinning till 6500 , with a 4200 stall.

The 76 is a known factor, and it will work well with my combo. Just looking for a turbo to grow with. i would rather make the same power at 25 psi with the 80 , than the 76 will make at 28 psi.

This motor will be at 15 psi 50% of its life.

Originally posted by njturbo
86brick did you get the e-mail i sent you:confused:

Njturbo, I checked my email and I didn't get anything from you....
Maybe try sending it again or PM me....

Later.

Originally posted by Trbobuick
I have 2 concerns..... spool up time and compressor surge at 15 psi.

i plan on spinning till 6500 , with a 4200 stall.

The 76 is a known factor, and it will work well with my combo. Just looking for a turbo to grow with. i would rather make the same power at 25 psi with the 80 , than the 76 will make at 28 psi.

This motor will be at 15 psi 50% of its life.

I've made 5 passes on the 80 so far. Last year at Etown in November with the 76 my best pass was a 9.97 @ 134.8 with a 1.52 60 ft @ 22 psi.

Over the winter I switched to one of Bill Anderson's ATI blown/fuel convertors (bitchin', freakin' awesome, the nuts, this thing kicks ass, ;) ), modified the passenger header to have a 3" collector, installed the 80, and added 4 degrees more timing. Plus added more exhaust duration to the cam.

At 18 psi the best pass was a 10.08 @ 135.5 with a 1.56 60 ft. At 22 psi the best was a 9.80, 141.5 with a 1.58 60 ft. I was shifting at 7400. The car weighs 3400 with me in it.

The 80 works. The spool up might be just a hair slower than the 76, but just a hair. I know when Jack was running this turbo he always needed more RPM room. The hydraulic roller always held him back. It'll act pretty similar to a 76 with the rev's you want to run, but if you ever decide to twist the rev's up, there'll be more left. There should also be a few more pounds of effiecent boost compared to the 76.

Brain your engine displacement and cam are the same as mine. I use the 80bb with a A/R 96 Q trim and a 3 1/2 inch down pipe and as I posted earlier I don't have alot of track time using the 80bb. But this much I do know with my A/C 3800 stall below 3500 the car is slow to spool.Now your going to use a 8 inch with 4000 stall and that might make a difference.Just as a note I tried a 8 inch 4400 with a PT 88 and it was to much turbo and convertor for my combo so I fell back to the 80bb and 3800 9 inch. Hope this helps a little but when it comes to Turbos I have found that they are like shoes we try them on until we find the one that feels the best.

REG

How about the cheater 76 that is good for over 1100hp?
Innovative and Precision make this. I am not sure about turbonectics. This is the unit Big Daddy went 170mph on drag radials with.

the cheater 76 is bigger than a PTE 88...physically anyway

and he didn't go 170...he did go 8.47 @ 164mph though

here are some pics of the type of cheater 76 they use:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tt3rdgen/thumper

it's for sale if you are interested.....it's been modified to help with spool

$1000, has 5 passes on it. email for more info