TA passenger side header fit problems

Rich May

I ordered a set of TA stock replacement headers and for some reason the passenger side one does not match up. I ordered from Kirbans so I sent back the one and have received another that looks the same. The gasket doesn't match up with the bolt holes correctly and when I tried to put the first one on there was a quarter inch gap to the turbo. Has anyone else had an issues like this? I'm attaching some pictures. One with the new gasket up to the original header. Second is the new header with the gasket lined up as close as I could get it and last is the gap to the turbo.

Attachments

• Stock header gasket.jpg
    Stock header gasket.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 314
  • TA passenger header gasket.jpg
    TA passenger header gasket.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 306
  • Header to turbo.jpg
    Header to turbo.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 304
the turbo height is adjustable with the dog ear bolts and the bracket on the head
but the gasket shows there is a manufacture issue , a little more than just redrilling the bolt holes to fix

I also just bought a set from kirban and after I seen your post I was little worried. The gaskets on my set line up perfect. I have heard nothing but good things about their headers thats why I bought them. Good luck getting yours straighten out Im sure they will take care of it.

I ordered a set of TA stock replacement headers and for some reason the passenger side one does not match up. I ordered from Kirbans so I sent back the one and have received another that looks the same. The gasket doesn't match up with the bolt holes correctly and when I tried to put the first one on there was a quarter inch gap to the turbo. Has anyone else had an issues like this? I'm attaching some pictures. One with the new gasket up to the original header. Second is the new header with the gasket lined up as close as I could get it and last is the gap to the turbo.
Here's a pic also of the drivers side. It will work but isn't perfect either

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 222
Looks to me as though the gaskets are cut incorrectly, which would make the headers appear to be off when placed on the flange. FYI, lose those gaskets because they will only blow out and cause pretty significant leaks. Tried two different composite gaskets and they both blew out. The first was the ones you have pictured and the second were from a Victor Reinz gasket set. If you're going to use gaskets, use the copper SCE ones: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L1CW1G/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• Manifold side.jpg
    Manifold side.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 127
Because they are made for stock headers?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

The point is that the bolt holes don't match up the same. No matter gasket or not, the holes have to match the block correct? If the gasket matches perfect with the bolt holes on the old headers but not with the new then how could the new header work? My problem was that the top two holes are too far off and if I get one bolt in the next wont go no matter what. Also, these are the gaskets that TA sent with the headers.

The point is that the bolt holes don't match up the same. No matter gasket or not, the holes have to match the block correct? If the gasket matches perfect with the bolt holes on the old headers but not with the new then how could the new header work? My problem was that the top two holes are too far off and if I get one bolt in the next wont go no matter what. Also, these are the gaskets that TA sent with the headers.
x2...The gaskets are a perfect match to his heads and if the bolt holes are different on the new
headers they aren't gonna work! It's that simple! :mad:

I see what you're saying now. I got too tied up thinking about the gaskets and I ended up missing the point the first go around. My apologies. FWIW, I hated getting my TA headers to fit initially.

It may be the flanges are warped. Take a straight edge to the to make sure the flange is flat. The first set I got were not flat. I sent them back. Have you actually tried to bolt the headers on?

I also just bought a set from kirban and after I seen your post I was little worried. The gaskets on my set line up perfect. I have heard nothing but good things about their headers thats why I bought them. Good luck getting yours straighten out Im sure they will take care of it.
If possible can you post a picture of yours? They think I'm crazy

It may be the flanges are warped. Take a straight edge to the to make sure the flange is flat. The first set I got were not flat. I sent them back. Have you actually tried to bolt the headers on?
If your flange is warped enough to move the bolt hole by half...it would look like a "U"...even a 0.050 bow in the flange isnt gonna move the hole that much. Try the header on the head...see if its flat and that the bolts go in. That will tell you all you need to know. Also, are both gaskets the same? You might have a gasket that shifted in the gasket press.

Try the header on the head first...
I have the stainless set that is NOT stock replacement and had to tweak a few holes a bit. Nothing much, but a little.

Yes, the flange did look like a U. There was a bad batch and happened to get a set. Second set was perfect. I have since got myself a machinist straight edge so we can check stuff b/f finding out the hard way if things are really straight and flat.

After my probs with some headers I was told I shoulda just got the T/A's, I'm surprised at this unless you are mistaken. Insert sarcasm>Apparently all headers have a "bad batch" or need a "tweaking" its an accepted norm in the TR world.

That's pretty much true for any part that is not "stock" and made GM. Even GM had part manufacturing issues.