Ta Timing Chain

bishir

Serenity Now
I planned on installing this chain "straight up" does the keyway on the crank need to be in the 0 advance slot?
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1394499074.062223.jpg

Thank for the reply. I set the engine at TDC and installed 'dot to dot' and as you can see the key is in the '4R' slot.

Since there are dots pretty much all around the bottom sprocket I set the keyway through the 0degree advance/retard slot and just use whatever dot is facing at 12:00?

Any elaboration would be welcomed. :)

Last edited:
A friend with a degree kit is going to help Monday. I went ahead and put it on how I thought from reading here. He was of the opinion the zero degree key way should be at 12:00 and lined up with the camshaft gear dot. Looking at the picture I obviously didn't do that. So, see anything wrong?
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1394838646.116061.jpg

The only thing I notice is that your tensioner looks like it may not be on right. Here's a pic of mine.
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1394843095.370290.jpg

I think it should be flat against the chain?

Thanks for the reply. I had thought if it were flat and the chain stretched it would no longer be flat.

Hmm I don't really know for sure. But u should probably try to find out for sure. I'm in the process of doing mine also.

Are you sure I've been given the exact opposite info in another thread regarding the ta chain and tensioner. Getting a right answer sometimes is tough and I'd love more responses.. ..

Last edited:
You are OK running the tensioner on this style chain (morse link.....also called a silent chain). You should not run a tensioner on a roller chain.......or bad things will eventually happen

It's confusing how your lower gear has a bunch of dots that don't seem to be assigned to specific slots.

If you want to install it 'straight up' you don't need to be in the 4R keyway unless you're accounting for a cam that's 'ground 4* advanced'.

At any rate point the key right up the #1 cylinder to TDC and the top gear slot pointing straight down.

....then do like Bob said and degree it anyway. Trust me, when the car acts goofy in the futrue (and it will) it'll be nice to know your valves are opening and closing at the right time.

Yes the multi dots were confusing. The keyway as shown in my latest post is at TDC and through the 0degree slot, my friend who's done this a lot more than I have looked it over and didn't understand why the 0degree keyway isn't at 12:00 and I told him this is what I found on the forum, but it's hard to get a straight answer online at times...

It's because the key is clocked the same as the #1 rod journal.

The 'dot' tooth varies depends on what keyway you're using so it's just odd they didn't have different dots for different slots. The lower line units tend to use circles squares and triangles.

The timing set appears to be installed correctly. The 0 degree keyway doesn't line up with the dot on the cam gear. Dave is correct in saying that this type of timing set does use a tensioner as it is a silent link style chain like the OEM one.

Neal

Thanks again for the reply. I feel better once a consensus is reached on these type of questions. Nothing worse than getting an answer bolting it all together and finding out it was wrong info ;)

Tmk these chains came with a tensioner. Nick can confirm this. If you don't degree you can't eliminate that as a possible issue in the future.

Tmk these chains came with a tensioner. Nick can confirm this. If you don't degree you can't eliminate that as a possible issue in the future.

Bison, thanks for your response. I ordered directly from TA and mine didn't include a tensioner. I've read plenty in the past that say 'don't run one with a double roller,' and obviously this isn't a double roller. What about the tensioner install in the pic? Does it need to be more 'flat,' or am I correctly compensating for chain stretch?

I have a friend with a degree kit and dial indicators we're going to take it to at the start of the week.