take me to school....

A short block is an engine assembly basically from the oil pan up to the block including pistons, crank, connecting rods, etc. A long block would be a short block with the addition of the induction system (heads, cam, intake manifold, etc.). Hope this is clear.

It was always my understanding that the short block was just the block with everything in it (crank, rods, cam, pistons,oil pan).

I thought a long block was a short block plus the heads, lifters, push rods and possibly valve covers. I did not think intake manifold was included in a long block.

Normally it depends on the engine manufacturer on all that a long block comes with. But usually a short block is a complete ready to go block with all internals. Some will be with a cam and some wont but most short blocks will be with a cam. Now most long blocks will include your heads, and all the valve train compnents put together. The long block allows you to basically swap the intake and fuel delivery/ induction, exhaust, valve covers, oil pan and the little items like dipstick and stuff and drop it back in and start. Hope this helps.