tall spindles- brake hoses?

mousemobile

I plan on using the B-body spindles and calipers with 1LE (12") rotors for the front brakes of my '83 Regal. I think I have everything needed for the conversion.

I haven't seen any information about which caliper brake hoses are needed. Does that mean that the original brake hose fits? Any re-routing needed?

I plan to use stainless braided hoses for the durability and brake feel. (I had problems with rubber brake hoses in the past). I've seen brake hose kits for sale on this board. I worry that if I buy a hose kit that it might not fit with the tall spindle conversion. I appreciate any help you guys can give.

Unfortunately, since I got my parts, the S-10 and LS1 conversions became known and are probably better, oh well.......

Thanks, Dimitar

Dimitar,
I'm just about done with the same conversion on my Malibu and have run into the same delima. I plan on using the stock rubber hose and picked up two BH36846 hoses, as listed in the article from Car Craft magazine. They fit the caliper just fine, but the keys in the other end of the hose aren't "clocked" to match the support brackets.
I've heard that you can use the stock hoses for the G-Body, but the "clocking" is incorrect on them too, once you have them attached to the caliper.
If you find anything that pertains to this, please let me know and I'll do the same.
Thanks
Grogetter.

Do a search for LS1 brakes guys. There are several and they have the hoses you need and where you can get them. I've read them before but don't have them saved.

I'll look again, but remember that the B-Body calipers are not the same as the F-Body LS1 calipers.
Thanks for the help.

I sent a PM to Conrad (Hot Air) regarding this. His reply follows:

clip< AS far as the GN is concerned, I have SS braided hoses. Stock length. I can look up exact P/N's if you like.
Conrad > end clip.

Stainless hoses MAY be the way to go, if they don't have a clocking issue.

As far as the brakes go, I have everything except the hoses. I even picked up a set rear disc backing plates from a friend for a late model F-body (LS-1)in January. I already had the rotors and calipers. I also have a set of Eldorado calipers (need to buy Scarebirds adapters to use them).

I haven't gotten anything done. I'm out of money (unemployed from Ford).
My computer crashed during the reply to Conrad. I lost the reply and gave up. If you need more info, Conrad would probably help and I'll pursue it, if necessary.

I'm sure the B-body and LS-1 calipers are physically different. BUT the same hose may work for both. Depends on the banjo bolt hole location and orientation. GM can be accomodating. But without them both in front of me, I'm just guessing.

My car is in Louisiana (I'm in MI). Now is a good time to work on it. But I have been dragging my butt....

rangelov,
I wound up using brake hoses for an 84 caprice wagon (BH36846). I had to file new keyways in the brake hose support, but it wasn't a big deal. I know you want to use braided hoses, so good luck finding some for this application.
If you wind up using the caprice hoses, just be sure that you cut keyways in the correct spots. Don't do like I did, mark the keyways for one side and assume they're the same on both sides, cause they're not. OOPS

Aslo, remember that the hard line fittings changed from flare to bubble(?) at some time. If you wind up with the later style fitting, you'll have to get adapters. They're covered in the S-10 Blazer brake thread.

Sorry to hear about your excess leisure time. Good luck with that.

Hope this helps.