TE-60 or 44?

BuickV6

3000 stall, MSD 50lb injectors, V4, 62mmTB. Which turbo will be fastest on 94 octane?
Is their much difference on the street?

I'm debating this one myself. I talked to John Craig about it, and he advised going with the TE60 when using the V4, and in my case, the ported heads and portmatched intake. Others on this board have since advised me to go with the TE61. It's still up in the air for me, as I have more assembly and preparation to do before I make that choice.

What are you future plans?

Like are you ever going to go to alcohol injection?

Things like that will give you a better street picture, because if you are going to go to alcohol and of course run more boost, then go even bigger than the TE 61, go to a 62 or even a 63. If you are going to run 22 to 24 psi on alcohol, you are going to get a great spool up due to that alone and your current mods. Then get the adjustable actuator with the 18 psi spring in it and watch that thing spool up better. Or wait for the new CAS one with the removable diaphragm spring and put in a 22 psi spring and then get street slicks, for its going be a smoke show.

Originally posted by Spoolinup
What are you future plans?

Like are you ever going to go to alcohol injection?

Things like that will give you a better street picture, because if you are going to go to alcohol and of course run more boost, then go even bigger than the TE 61, go to a 62 or even a 63. If you are going to run 22 to 24 psi on alcohol, you are going to get a great spool up due to that alone and your current mods. Then get the adjustable actuator with the 18 psi spring in it and watch that thing spool up better. Or wait for the new CAS one with the removable diaphragm spring and put in a 22 psi spring and then get street slicks, for its going be a smoke show.

I can't imagine why anyone would want a turbo as big as a 62 or 63 and run 22-24psi on the street? I mean for actual street driving. My car was able to blow the street tires off at will with the TA49 and stock D5 convertor, and is just as bad now with the 52 and a 9" convertor.

No flame intended but why would you bother? You wouldn't be able to keep tires on it at all. I had to run Nitto's all through the Summer last year so I could have any traction at all. The car is a blast to drive when it just hooks and goes!:D Leaving rubber all over the road is not my idea of fun. JMO.

BTW, I suspect that my previous setup of the TA49/D5 convertor was actually quicker on the street at the same boost level as the 52/9". Hard to say for sure though.

No flame taken, my comment was IF he was to upgrade later to alcohol. So in my opinion, if you are going to run alcohol and 24 psi, your going to get more go out of a Te 63 than the Ta 49 at that psi. And the spool up is not going to be a big deal at that psi if you upgrade to the larger diaphragm spring, or even a manual boost controller with the rod screwed in a few more turns at the same psi.

Buick V6 you have a 3000 stall, who makes it and what size?
If it is a 9.5 vigilante, you might as well forget about the Ta 49, it is going to be lightning fast on the street and could get away with atleast a Te 60 and barely notice a spool up difference.

And I did say you would want street slicks for that alcohol set up.

It sounds like buick v6 has yet to get a new turbo, so if he still has the stock one, this is a good time for him to make some future predictions of what he might put on the car. This way he would only buy one turbo and not have to upgrade a year later due to the Ta 49 or Te 60 not going as fast as he wants in his mph.

Might point out that the sweet spot of a 44/49 is around 24#. A TE 60 is good for low 11s though some have been faster. I suspect a TE60 is pretty much the same as a 51 performancewise.

With the V4, I might suggest the 60 for use with alky and give it the slight nod as it will support a few more horses.

If the 3000 converter does it's job, it would be a good match.

Is there much diff. between the te60&te63?
Maybe I should step down a tad?
I've never had the boost over 20 on the street(buddy gave me 3 gal. of 110) or 18 on 93 at the track.
The diff between 18 and 20 was hard to beleive!
I know I know I'am a puss:(
:mad: I need to sell this 2002 T/A!

Originally posted by NEARING
Is there much diff. between the te60&te63?
Maybe I should step down a tad?
I've neaver had the boost over 20 on the street(buddy gave me 3 gal. of 110) or 18 on 93 at the track.
The diff between 18 and 20 was hard to beleive!
I know I know I'am a puss:(
:mad: I need to sell this 2002 T/A!

I guess it depends on how happy you are with your setup and the way it drives. I have almost the same ET and mph as you, but you have heads and a cam and a larger turbo. You also ran 18-20psi to run those numbers whereas I had to run 24psi to do it. I suspect your turbo would be more effecient @ 22-25psi than what it is @ 18-20, but then you be running really low 11's or into the 10's. Depends on how far you want to push it I guess.

Not really sure what my point was earlier on, other than to me, too big of a turbo and 24psi on the street would seem silly since all the power would be wasted in tire spin.

Regardless, if you already have the 3000 stall convertor, as Steve said, the TE60 should match up nicely with it. It may not end up any faster on the street with 94 octane pump gas, but you will certainly feel a difference at the track with 25psi. :)

:confused: Just thinking a smaller turbo might be more fun on the street. By the time this one spools up it's time to slow down!
Tempted to put the ported stock one on just to see how fast it spools up.
Naaaa I'am far too lazy!

well, you are a bit screwed, because your combo goes together well with that 3500 stall converter. If it does not spool quickly, it is probably fat in first gear. You might try running alky and turn the boost up to about 22. Then it will move.

My combo is similar except I am running a ME with 75s, a bit looser converter, and alky.

I don't know if the SpeedPro allows you to lean it down in first or not....the 3800-4000 converter that I have is too loose but it is not obvious in normal driving.

I had the T63E combo with 9" NL combo and stepped to a mid-road turbo (LT-61 compromise) going the same route with a dual nozzle SMC kit. Looking for low 11's or high 10's in the 22 PSI range. Still no street tire will hold either one at full song! Slicks even have a hard time. Link is below for turbo shots and if you do a search on TE-61 the thread will come up.

http://home.att.net/~jesse.adkins

BuickV6

Sorry guys life got to buzy for awhile and I lost track of this thread, now its time to buy and I am still thinking. :) Yes I probably will move to Alky (SMC) in the future and the convertor is a quality made 12" from Dan's Convertors in I think IL. I bought it last summer. As I said life is buzy we have 4 kids a business and were in the middle of home improvement projects. I also have recently picked up Jay Jackson's 62/65mm TB and RJC's restrictor er power plate. The heads are stock with new 100lbs ish valve springs sheesh 20k miles ago. I will use 28" tall drag radials umm I think thats about it. Right now I am leaning toward a Craig built TE-60.

Considering you have a 12 inch 3000 stall, go with the Te 60 for sure than. The smaller diameter converters are lighter and have more k factor so on a larger turbo the 12 inch will not spool as well comparatively. Even though they both would be at 3000 stall, they are not going to respond the same for sure.

I would also stick with the craig built hair dryer.

let me tell you , ive got a ta 60 with a 2800 stall converter and it is sweet. john craig is the man. with a 3000 stall converter you will love the te 60.

Oh yea and a 208/208 cam. Thanks guys looks like the concensus is that the 60 with this combo will work just as well as the 44 on the street. I was concerned the 60 would lag alot or have to be turning some rpms to work right. Street is my concern much more than track times so I just did not want to lose site of that. If anyone has any other opinion or thoughts to share I am still listening. Again thanks guys.

Hey,I have an idea!
You buy the 60 , Ill blow the dust off the GN and we'll take em out to the track and run my little te44 against the 60
Lets see if its faster.I promise not to Mustang Tree you.oh I only have blue tops.Ill do it anyway:D :D
just make sure you buy a john craig turbo
see ya Vern