TE44 or TA49

not-rdy

TA52 or TA49

I purchased my car used and was told it had a brand new TE44 turbo. I met up with some fellow Buick guys last night and it looks more like I have a TA49. It has the Precision .63 exhaust housing but the compressor side says Garrett and has the non integrated bell. He was ordering it new from either Ramchargers or Precision. Any clues??

If it has a bolt on inlet bell, then it is definately not a TE44. The "TE" series turbo's have integrated inlets and the "TA" turbos are stock appearing with bolt on inlet bells. I know this doesn't tell you what turbo you have, but it tells you what you don't have....;)

The car needed a new turbo so he gave me a link to turbo's from Ramchargers to look at. He was looking at the $675.00 turbos. It feels a little laggy on the bottom end but in 2nd gear the car really pulls hard. I don't mind if it is not a TE44 but I would like to find out what it is for sure. I already bought a hard mass air pipe that I guess I will have to return and get the TA series pipe instead. Anyone tell me how to find out what it is?

Ken

It definitely looks like the TA49. The inlet side of the turbo says Garrett A/R .60 and the exhaust side says Precision A/R .63. I just thought maybe it was something a little bigger in the TA series due to the fact that the car won't even spin the tires from a standing still start. It feels a little laggy but in 2nd gear the car screams. I am only running 10 - 12lbs of boost so maybe that is why it seems slower from a start. I have never owned a turbo car so maybe it is fine out of the hole but I am not used to it. I had a 87 Mustang for the last 13 yrs. that was very strong out of the hole. It just seems like it should spin the tires out of the hole.

Thanks,
Ken

Hold the brakes at a light until you see a little boost and the tires start to spin, then let off the brakes and floor it, they will do plenty of spinning:D :D

I'm having a similar problem...I just bought an 86 T-Type and I was looking on ebay and this guy is selling a ta49...my question is how do I know it's a 49?? It looks just like the stocker in the pics...but so does the one aintgoinslow posted here...is their an marks I should look for??

ask for a measurement of the compressor wheel. the compressor wheel is 58 mm on a TA-49. also the stock turbos have a hole in the side of the inlet bell for the valve cover breather which the TA series bells dont. but know that the same inlet bell can be put on a stock turbo. id go with tho compressor wheel measurement as the tell tale sign that its a true 49. got a link so we can see it?

Ok. Does anyone know if they make a TA49 with a Precision exhaust housing? It looks like I either have a TA52 or a TA49. I emailed Ramchargers to see if they would give me any information since I believe he bought it there. I don't know if they will without his permission. From the pictures on GNttype.org it looks more like a PTA52 but they are comparing it to a TA49 with a Garrett exhaust housing. If it is a PTA52 then I would understand why it is a little slower out of the hole but comes on hard in 2nd. Anyone have a picture of a TA49 with Precision exhaust housing?

Thanks,
Ken