te61

ecmo92

You guys have me leaning towards this turbo with my set-up. Any personel experiances ? I would love to know what to expect with this turbo. :D

You can expect to drive over the crank;) The 009's will not cut it with the 61. Now if you had alchy it may be different.

ARGHHHHHH!!!!

first it was the te44 was to small for my combo, now the te61 is to big?! :eek:

Any other idea's? Besides changing the injectors. I do plan on going with the alchy kit , but not right away. One step at a time, know what I mean?:)

Originally posted by ecmo92
Any other idea's? Besides changing the injectors. I do plan on going with the alchy kit , but not right away. One step at a time, know what I mean?:)

The 61 is my favorite turbo ,I have built several combos for people w/61 and 009's ,It is a combo that flat works ,there are plenty of "chips" for 009's and will get street a car into the low 11's

Bottom line is if your goals are no faster than low 11's you have a great combo for the track and the STREET.

Larger turbos will start to sacrifice street manners .

At least 3 cars in my area have made 100's and 100's of passes in the 11.00 to 11.50 @120mph with 009's and 61 turbo and not one blown head gasket

Originally posted by qwknuf6 jr
The 61 is my favorite turbo ,I have built several combos for people w/61 and 009's ,It is a combo that flat works ,there are plenty of "chips" for 009's and will get street a car into the low 11's

Bottom line is if your goals are no faster than low 11's you have a great combo for the track and the STREET.

Larger turbos will start to sacrifice street manners .

At least 3 cars in my area have made 100's and 100's of passes in the 11.00 to 11.50 @120mph with 009's and 61 turbo and not one blown head gasket
What boost level?

Originally posted by Intercooler
What boost level?

25-30 PSI to run low low 11's never could crack the 10's
11.01 @121 was my best , A buddie went more MPH(123) but only 11.17

110 octain race gas in the tank

I managed to run 11.35 @121 with my first trip to the track with the new combination. This was run with 21-22 psi boost (26 deg timing) and C16 on 8 year old slicks. I didn't want to push the car too hard as I had a 2.5 hour drive. EGT was in high 1500s and 0 knock. I'm using a 3000 stall D5 and it's really not too bad on the street. The little bit of lag I do have affords me a little traction ... but once the boost comes on look out. I run about 20psi and 22 degrees timing on street.

Thanks,
Paul.

Originally posted by forcefed3.8's
Will a 2800 stall red stripe be allright with a 61? I plan on upgrading, but much later.
The turbo chart says 3200. You can use it but don't expect insta-spool.

JR, whos chip do you think would work the best? You hit it right on the head, mid 11's is killer enough for me!! I dont want to start fixing all the broken parts!! And also, do you have a price range on the 61's? Thanks!!

I bought my car with a TE-61 according to the previous owner but he has not provided me with any documentation nor do I know how to tell what the turbo really is. Does anyone know how to identify what turbo I have? The car has blue top injectors and from the sound of it they may be too small if I do actually have the TE-61. :confused:

Originally posted by ecmo92
JR, whos chip do you think would work the best? You hit it right on the head, mid 11's is killer enough for me!! I dont want to start fixing all the broken parts!! And also, do you have a price range on the 61's? Thanks!!

I use Red's chips , I get my turbos from John Craig , I can get a te-61 with HP accuator for bout 700.00

The compressor side of the TE61 is a 60-1 compressor. To confirm that you have this compressor measure the inducer and major diameter of the compressor wheel. I have a TA62 which has the same compressor, my measurements are:

Inducer O.D. = 2.334"
Major O.D. = 2.993"
Inlet I.D. = 2.362"

This compressor has 14 blades, you most likely can only see 7 blades when looking at inducer from inlet side, the other 7 blades are behind first 7 blades.

I do not have the exhaust turbine Exducer and Major measurements for the exhust turbine used on a TE61, I do have the measurements for a T3 high flow with a 69 Trim and a P Trim turbine. You can compare with your turbine to at least eliminate what it might not be.

T3HighFlow (69Trim)

Exducer O.D.= (have not measured)
Major O.D. = (have not measured)
Outlet I.D. = 2.461"

P Trim

Exducer O.D. = (have not measured, see Turboneticsinc for details)
Major O.D. = (have not measured, see Turboneticsinc for details)
Outlet I.D. = 2.586"

Hope this helps.

Deep Enough

Donald McMullin