Test pipe difference????

Coltsfan1

Ok here's my question......if I take the cat out and throw in a test pipe how much difference will the exhaust tone change?

I currently have a COMPLETLY stock 26k mile car and would like to maintain the stock look. But would also like to hear the exhaust. Tried to find a sound bite but no luck. Thanks

Last edited:
I cant answer your exact question because I removed my stock exhaust and replaced it with Pypes Race Pro and test pipe.

I can tell you from a performance standpoint, you will not be disappointed. That was the first mod I ever did to my GN and it was a very noticeable "seat of the pants" increase. Turbo got louder too. Not to mention losing probably 30-50 pounds, that thing was heavy. I picked this exhaust because it looks and sounds stock. This was back when I was keeping my car mostly stock.

I think I had a couple thousand miles on my car when I installed a test pipe. The sound was a little louder, but couldn't hear the difference with the windows rolled up.
That lasted about 6 Mos., then I removed the muffler altogether (still used 2 1/4 in. piping) and installed some Big Bore Monza resonated tips that sounded like turbo mufflers. It had a nice rumble at idle with a slight Freightliner like sound while accelerating, nice turbo whistle.

I would try a test pipe first. If your wanting to retain the stock look, find another (used) similar shaped cat, cut the ends off, gut the cat and weld it over the test pipe for the best of both worlds.
That way you can keep your stock cat as garage art.