th200 to th 400 swap info

dfisher

well after breaking alot of parts lately,I have decided to swap trans. first when you install the 400 trans will I be able to use the same flywheel and will the new th 400 torque converter bolt up like it is should with no problems? this car has become a race only car and I want to save my 200r4 before I distroy it. I live only 11 miles from one track and 23 miles from the other and right in the middle of the late night cruse. so the overdrive is not a real issue. any info would be a big help. looking to go low 11 this go around. and this tranny will have a trans brake.

I switched from the 400 to the 200. tho opposite from yur swap my knowledge may help you. Check yur flexplate as some are drilled for both GM patterns. My TH400 plate worked with my 200R. The 200R and the TH400 are the same length overall. Furthermore the distance from bellhousing to mount is the same as well. should be no need for crossmember modification. The kickdown switch for the 400 is electric and actuated by switch at gas pedal or on carb linkage. The 400 works best when this electric kickdown circut is operable. The 400 also uses a vacuum modulator which is unlike the 200R. im not sure how to set that up on a turbo car that has boost and pressure in intake...someone else can kick in here now....before I make a further fool of myself...

the yoke is different...driveshaft should work without cutting provided you change to the correct yoke for the 400

Hey Don

Hey Don whats going on man. This is Allan I tried calling you the other day I left a message. Well hey man if your gonna go switch tranny's if you have any parts such as stall,valve body,shift kit I would be interested in buying them if economy permits.

Allan
512-218-4435