TH2004R. 82 model? Is it worth buying?

McHaggis

I'm looking to build up a TH2004R and have found a rebuildable core. This is the only one I've found so far. It's 300 bucks.

The Tag is:
091-2T82AA1200

From this I'm guessing it's an 82 model out of a Caddy.

Is this a good starting point for a rebuild (behind a 430hp 355 SBC) or should I hold off for a later model? Keep in mind I'm in New Zealand and there's bugger all of them here.

Sorry but I didn't see the trans up close. It was up on a high shelf and the guy ripped the tag off it. Is there two tags on just the one?

Yes it has the AA in the code and also appears to be an '82 model.

Is this a better option than the 700R4? It's going behind a 430hp 355 SBC.

Good core to start with but a little steep on price. I normally don't pay more than $150 for any core I get unless it is a performance item like the BRFs and such. :)

$150 would be better but it's here in NZ and they wnated $700 for the "runner".

Is this the way to go or should I be looking at a 700R4? The size of the TH2004R is making me go this way.

WOW! Didn't realize that you were out of the country. I guess that price is probably ok then. :rolleyes:

Thanks Jim.

Anyone have any ideas as to a typical cost for parts to make one of these live behind a 430hp 355?

A billet forward drum is "HIGHLY" recommended. I think they are about $350. If you rebuild it yourself you could pobably do it for around $800 with good parts.

A billet forward drum is "HIGHLY" recommended. I think they are about $350. If you rebuild it yourself you could pobably do it for around $800 with good parts.

Ouch! With the cost of the core, parts, shipping, exchange rate and customs I'm going to have to fork out about $1900, then I need a decent TC.

Any ideas who has good torque convertor? I'd like around 3000rpm and lock-up.

Thanks. They look good but are quite pricey for the stall speed I'm looking at.
OR... is $545 about the going rate?

Any other suppliers I should look at?

One thing no one's pointed out yet is the 2004R wasn't built until 83. Are you sure it's a 2004R?

Charlie, if memory serves me they came out in 81. You may be thinking of the trans appearing in a specific model.

McHaggis, that core price is steep...if you were here in the States. Given your location however, that may be a bargain.

Also, don't price shop with stall speed. Go with one of the proven vendors (like those referenced/listed on this site) and you will get what you pay for. If you go with an elcheapo convertor with the stall rating you want, it undoubtedly will be a completely different product vs. a quality one. And it will act completely different as well. After you get disgusted, you will have bought two: an elcheapo converter good for a paperweight and a quality one you are pleased with.

091-2T82AA1200
This 200-4R from the Julian date was built April 1, 1982. It is from a Cadillac as discussed above. Production of the 200-4R was 1982 thru 1990 model years. You can come across a Julian date from early 1981.

I would try to find a later year 200-4R before purchasing this core. Considering the exchange rate, 210USD is expensive for that core.

Also, don't price shop with stall speed. Go with one of the proven vendors (like those referenced/listed on this site) and you will get what you pay for. If you go with an elcheapo convertor with the stall rating you want, it undoubtedly will be a completely different product vs. a quality one. And it will act completely different as well. After you get disgusted, you will have bought two: an elcheapo converter good for a paperweight and a quality one you are pleased with.

That's what I'm reading here. I'll just have to factor that cost into a rebuild. As they as, no one ever regrets buying quality!

091-2T82AA1200
This 200-4R from the Julian date was built April 1, 1982. It is from a Cadillac as discussed above. Production of the 200-4R was 1982 thru 1990 model years. You can come across a Julian date from early 1981.

I would try to find a later year 200-4R before purchasing this core. Considering the exchange rate, 210USD is expensive for that core.

I'll keep looking but there seems to be very few of these here in NZ, as most cars that came into the country were fitted with 700r4's. There just isn't much choice.

Of course, I guess if you throw enough money at it it can be made to hold up? Been reading thru old posts here and there are many differing opinions on what needs to be done to one of these to make it live behind 450hp.

The guy here, that has this core, brings lots of parts and cars into the country and has been involved in the industry for 30 years or more. He's trying to tell me that a basic rebuild is all that's needed. But he is full of s**t!.

What hard parts should sensibly be upgraded to allow it to be driven hard without concern?

im in the wrong bizness, Rebuildable auto tranny cores around here go for 50-75 bucks USD. I see them on craigslist for $20-$50 sometimes. Unless somebody said its out of a grand national then the price goes up.